[ANN] Aeditor 0.6, feedback wanted

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Simon Strandgaard, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. I am curious if Aeditor is working on your machine?
    Do you experience problems with installation ?
    Can you crash the application ?

    I would like to hear your suggestions for improvements :)

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Aeditor is a editor-widget written in Ruby. The primary
    goal is to make a programmers-editor which is suitable
    for pair-programming. Other important goals is:
    * fully scriptable in Ruby.
    * nice visual output.
    * many kinds of frontends: Gtk, Qt, Ncurses.
    Aeditor is a rival to scintilla. It is meant to be
    embedded into other applications, eg: FreeRIDE.

    Many things has been added since I released v0.1 the 1st juli 2003.
    * cut/copy/paste
    * auto-indent
    * save
    * 336 tests, 1161 assertions (43 tests added since v0.1)

    raa-entry:
    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=aeditor

    screenshot:
    http://metaeditor.sourceforge.net/graphics/editor_shot8_explained.png
    Simon Strandgaard, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Simon Strandgaard, Jul 12, 2003

  3. "Simon Strandgaard" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:03:39 +0200, Simon Strandgaard wrote:
    >
    > > I am curious if Aeditor is working on your machine?

    > [snip]
    > > raa-entry:
    > > http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=aeditor
    > >
    > > screenshot:
    > > http://metaeditor.sourceforge.net/graphics/editor_shot8_explained.png

    > please_respond! if rubyists.any?
    >
    > case aeditor.status
    > when all_works
    > party
    > when crash
    > fill_in_bug_report
    > when odd_behavier
    > think
    > else
    > aeditor.status += (bugs/2)
    > end

    Looks interesting. Did I miss the documentation somewhere? I don't
    see any, other than a summary of what features Aeditor has. I'd
    really like a basic tutorial, especially one that shows me how to
    setup a remote pair-programming session and gives me a command "cheat
    sheet". :)

    Regards,

    Dan
    Daniel Berger, Jul 12, 2003
  4. "Simon Strandgaard" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:17:23 +0000, Daniel Berger wrote:

    > [snip]

    > > Looks interesting. Did I miss the documentation somewhere? I don't
    > > see any, other than a summary of what features Aeditor has. I'd
    > > really like a basic tutorial,

    > Sorry at this moment there is zero usage-documentation.
    >
    > All options is hardcoded (though the unittests test them with
    > many different settings). Not much to talk about...yet
    > I have thought of storing options in xml/yaml. But I think instead that
    > storing it as a Ruby-dotfile would be smarter. How should a Ruby-dotfile
    > format look like ?
    >
    > The only things you can do, is these things you see on the display:
    > F2 = save
    > F3 = toggles between block-mode/normal-mode
    > F4 = paste the current block
    > F5 = remove the current block
    > F6 = toggles between scroll-mode/movement-mode
    > F9 = toggles between macro-record-mode/normal-mode
    > F10 = play the current macro
    > F11 = undo the previous operation
    > F12 = redo the succeding operation
    >
    > Thats about it.
    >
    > > especially one that shows me how to
    > > setup a remote pair-programming session and gives me a command "cheat
    > > sheet". :)

    > AEditors goal is to improve non-remote-pair-programming :)
    > I don't consider remote pair-programming as *real* pair-programming.

    Well, we could be sitting across the table from each other for all I
    care. It would just be a way to argue about code without having to
    share the same personal space, or keyboard, or chair, or whatever. :)

    > Remote pair-programming could be useful in conjunction with VoIP.
    >

    > How did installation of AEditor went ? success/failure ?

    Went fine with preview3. I think there was some kind of issue with
    the nightly snapshot and "ruby install.rb install". I don't have that
    system handy at the moment so I can't test - so you may wish to check.

    Regards,

    Dan
    Daniel Berger, Jul 13, 2003
  5. On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 07:43:25 +0000, Daniel Berger wrote:

    > "Simon Strandgaard" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:17:23 +0000, Daniel Berger wrote:
    >>
    >> > especially one that shows me how to
    >> > setup a remote pair-programming session and gives me a command "cheat
    >> > sheet". :)

    >> AEditors goal is to improve non-remote-pair-programming :)
    >> I don't consider remote pair-programming as *real* pair-programming.

    > Well, we could be sitting across the table from each other for all I
    > care. It would just be a way to argue about code without having to
    > share the same personal space, or keyboard, or chair, or whatever. :)

    a dual-screen setup is ok.. far distance pair-programming is more
    difficult to support.

    Im only interested in making local-distance pair programming easier.
    Maybe when that goal is achived.. I will look at far-distance ?

    >> How did installation of AEditor went ? success/failure ?

    > Went fine with preview3. I think there was some kind of issue with
    > the nightly snapshot and "ruby install.rb install". I don't have that
    > system handy at the moment so I can't test - so you may wish to check.

    Great, I use Ruby-1.8.0-preview3.. I havn't yet tried automated-cvs-compile
    of the nigthly snapshot. I will fix such errors when preview4 is releashed :)

    I use FreeBSD myself.. I have no clue if it works on: linux, osx, win ?
    Which platform did you tried Aeditor on ?

    --
    Simon Strandgaard
    Simon Strandgaard, Jul 13, 2003