ANN] HighLine 1.0.1

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by James Edward Gray II, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. HighLine 1.0.1 Released
    =======================

    With this release HighLine now has everything we the developers have
    ever wanted it to have and everything we've seen you the users ask
    for. Given that, we decided it was time to leave the beta status
    behind and bump the version to 1.0.

    In addition to the fun new features listed below, we also fixed all
    known issues. Keep those reports coming... We're listening!

    What is HighLine?
    -----------------

    (from the README)

    HighLine was designed to ease the tedious tasks of doing console
    input and output with low-level methods like gets() and puts().
    HighLine provides a robust system for requesting data from a user,
    without needing to code all the error checking and validation rules
    and without needing to convert the typed Strings into what your
    program really needs. Just tell HighLine what you're after, and let
    it do all the work.

    What's new in this release?
    ---------------------------

    (highlights from the CHANGELOG)

    * Added gather = ... option to question for fetching entire Arrays or
    Hashes filled with answers. You can set gather to a count of
    answers to
    collect, a String or Regexp matching the end of input, or a Hash
    where each
    key can be used in a new question.
    * Added File support to HighLine.ask(). You can specify a directory
    and a
    glob pattern that combine into a list of file choices the user can
    select
    from. You can choose to receive the user's answer as an open
    filehandle or as
    a Pathname object.
    * Added Readline support for history and editing.
    * Added tab completion for menu and file selection selection (requires
    Readline).
    * Added a complete help system to HighLine's shell menu creation tools.

    Plus documentation and examples for the new features. We also fixed
    all reported bugs!

    Where can I learn more?
    -----------------------

    HighLine is hosted on RubyForge.

    Project page: http://rubyforge.org/projects/highline/
    Documentation: http://highline.rubyforge.org/
    Downloads: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=683

    How do I get HighLine?

    HighLine is a gem, so as long as you have RubyGems installed it's as
    simple as:

    $ sudo gem install highline

    If you need to install RubyGems, you can download it from:

    HighLine can also be installed manually. Just download the latest
    release and follow the instructions in INSTALL:

    James Edward Gray II
    Greg Brown
    James Edward Gray II, Jul 7, 2005