[ANN] Ruby Installer for Windows 1.8.1-13 final

Curt Hibbs

The Ruby Installer 1.8.1-13 (final) for Windows has been released and
is now available for download from:

http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/

This release fixes most of the problems with RI. One remaining RI
problem is that it still fails with all uppercase items (like
"RI CGI" and "RI IO").

Win32ole is working much better than in the previous release, but
it still has problems.

All other reported problems have been fixed (I hope :). You can
check for reported problems (or report new problems) at:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=167

What is the Ruby Installer for Windows?
---------------------------------------

The Ruby Installer for Windows is a "one-click", self-contained Windows
installer that contains the Ruby language itself, dozens of popular
extensions and packages, a syntax-highlighting editor and execution
environment, and a Windows help file that contains the full text of the
book, "Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide".

Change Log for 1.8.1-13
-----------------------
- Included the win32ole from 1.8.1-10 because the win32ole as
distributed in Ruby 1.8.1 is broken.
- Hand generated the ri database from a post 1.8.1 Ruby snapshot
(because ri in the Ruby 1.8.1 release tarball was broken).
- Fixed the bad paths in the *.bat files in ruby\bin.
- Log4R was broken in the Ruby 1.8.1 distribution. This was fixed
by applying this patch:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/80495
- Win32api is present in this distribution, but broken. It will not
be fixed because Win32api has been deprecated and you should use
Ruby/DL instead. See:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/94569

Enjoy!

Curt

Joel VanderWerf

Three things don't seem right...

1. The doc/dl/dl.txt is missing. It was in an earlier 1.8.1 installer.

2. The Yaml lib seems to be out of date, compared with recent 1.8.1
tarballs. In the latter, symbols are serialized in the new way:

$ ruby-1.8.1 -v -r yaml -e 'y :foo'
ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [i686-linux]
--- :foo

But with 1.8.1-13, they still get dumped as:

D:\>ruby -r yaml -e 'y:)foo)'
--- !ruby/sym foo

3. Yaml crashes with this hash:

D:\>ruby -v -r yaml -e 'y({:foo=>:bar})'
File creation error

Or did I do something wrong?

Curt Hibbs

I have uploaded a release candidate for Ruby Installer that was built using
the stable snapshot of the Ruby CVS dated 2004-06-30 (yes, that *is* today).
While this snapshot is not an official release of Ruby, it has been reported
that many Ruby bugs have been fixed. I have also updated a few extension
packages to their latest release.

NOTE: I currently have very little free time, so I intend to move this
quickly to a final release (possibly within a week) unless someone reports a
very serious problem with this release candidate.

You can download this release candidate from:

http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/

You can check for reported problems (or report new problems) at:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=167

What is the Ruby Installer for Windows?
---------------------------------------

The Ruby Installer for Windows is a "one-click", self-contained Windows
installer that contains the Ruby language itself, dozens of popular
extensions and packages, a syntax-highlighting editor and execution
environment, and a Windows help file that contains the full text of the
book, "Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide".

Change Log for 1.8.2-14
-----------------------
- This is a build of the 1.8.2 stable snapshot
of Ruby dated 2004-06-29. Many Ruby bugs have
been reported fixed since the official 1.8.1
release.
- Fixed a typo in a windows registry entry
(bug 643).
- Upgraded Expat to version 1.95.7
- Upgraded Ruby-odbc to version 0.993
- Upgraded FXRuby to version 1.0.29

Lyle Johnson

I have uploaded a release candidate for Ruby Installer that was built using
the stable snapshot of the Ruby CVS dated 2004-06-30 (yes, that *is* today).
While this snapshot is not an official release of Ruby, it has been reported
that many Ruby bugs have been fixed. I have also updated a few extension
packages to their latest release.

I noticed that you've updated FXRuby to the latest release (version
1.0.29), which I do appreciate. But did you recompile the code against
the Ruby 1.8.2 include files, or just use the Windows installer for
FXRuby 1.0.29 (which was built against Ruby 1.8.1)?

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, since I haven't been
following the 1.8.2 developments. But if there were any significant
changes in the Ruby 1.8.2 header files, it could potentially break
FXRuby, and other extensions, for that matter.

Curt Hibbs

Lyle said:
I noticed that you've updated FXRuby to the latest release (version
1.0.29), which I do appreciate. But did you recompile the code against
the Ruby 1.8.2 include files, or just use the Windows installer for
FXRuby 1.0.29 (which was built against Ruby 1.8.1)?

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, since I haven't been
following the 1.8.2 developments. But if there were any significant
changes in the Ruby 1.8.2 header files, it could potentially break
FXRuby, and other extensions, for that matter.

Yes, I did recompile it. If you have a simple way to test that everything
still works I would appreciate it.

Curt

Lothar Scholz

Hello Lyle,

LJ> I don't know if it makes a difference or not, since I haven't been
LJ> following the 1.8.2 developments. But if there were any significant
LJ> changes in the Ruby 1.8.2 header files, it could potentially break
LJ> FXRuby, and other extensions, for that matter.

The only reason for having minor numbers is that they are binary
compatible. I hope the core ruby team members know that they are
responsible to garantee this.

Lyle Johnson

Yes, I did recompile it. If you have a simple way to test that everything
still works I would appreciate it.

See if the unit tests (in the "tests" subdirectory) pass. Change to
that directory and type:

ruby TS_All.rb

If I recall correctly, a couple of the tests for the FXFileStream
classes are broken on Win32 (but they are benign failures).

Curt Hibbs

Lyle said:
See if the unit tests (in the "tests" subdirectory) pass. Change to
that directory and type:

ruby TS_All.rb

If I recall correctly, a couple of the tests for the FXFileStream
classes are broken on Win32 (but they are benign failures).

I just tried this, and to my horror, FXRuby wasn't in the distribution at
all! I didn't get any build errors on the installer (which includes FXRuby),
so I need to figure out what happened here, and then run your test.

Thanks,
Curt

Curt Hibbs

The original release candidate that I posted earlier today did not include
FXRuby. I just posted release candidate 2 which corrects this.

Curt

lopex

The glviewer.rbw FXRuby sample complains that there is no OpenGL extension

Marcin Mielz.yn'ski

Curt Hibbs

lopex said:
The glviewer.rbw FXRuby sample complains that there is no OpenGL extension

Thanks... you are correct, the OpenGL extension is not there. I'll try to
get another build out tomorrow that corrects this.

Curt

Daniel Berger

Curt Hibbs said:
I have uploaded a release candidate for Ruby Installer that was built using
the stable snapshot of the Ruby CVS dated 2004-06-30...
<snip>

Excellent! I'd like to note that win32ole seems to play nicer with
1.8.2 RC2, even though I was using the latest win32ole (0.5.5) with
1.8.1. Segfaults I was seeing with 1.8.1 have (seemingly)
disappeared, though I'll keep testing.
Change Log for 1.8.2-14
-----------------------
- This is a build of the 1.8.2 stable snapshot
of Ruby dated 2004-06-29. Many Ruby bugs have
been reported fixed since the official 1.8.1
release.
- Fixed a typo in a windows registry entry
(bug 643).
- Upgraded Expat to version 1.95.7
- Upgraded Ruby-odbc to version 0.993
- Upgraded FXRuby to version 1.0.29

Looks like you updated DBI to 0.23 as well (last I checked it was at
0.18)

Many thanks,

Dan

Lothar Scholz

Hello Curt,

CH> I have uploaded a release candidate for Ruby Installer that was built using
CH> the stable snapshot of the Ruby CVS dated 2004-06-30 (yes, that *is* today).
CH> While this snapshot is not an official release of Ruby, it has been reported
CH> that many Ruby bugs have been fixed. I have also updated a few extension
CH> packages to their latest release.

Couldn't you wait 2 more weeks! There is a deadline from matz on
7-july-2004 for the next official 1.8.2 release and about 1 week later
the offical 1.8.2 release or one more release candidate is expected.

Curt Hibbs

Lothar said:
Hello Curt,

CH> I have uploaded a release candidate for Ruby Installer that
was built using
CH> the stable snapshot of the Ruby CVS dated 2004-06-30 (yes,
that *is* today).
CH> While this snapshot is not an official release of Ruby, it
has been reported
CH> that many Ruby bugs have been fixed. I have also updated a
few extension
CH> packages to their latest release.

Couldn't you wait 2 more weeks! There is a deadline from matz on
7-july-2004 for the next official 1.8.2 release and about 1 week later
the offical 1.8.2 release or one more release candidate is expected.

I wasn't aware of that. Its unlikely that I would post the final version
before then, so if the official release comes out I would definitely use it.

Curt

Curt Hibbs

Daniel said:
<snip>

Excellent! I'd like to note that win32ole seems to play nicer with
1.8.2 RC2, even though I was using the latest win32ole (0.5.5) with
1.8.1. Segfaults I was seeing with 1.8.1 have (seemingly)
disappeared, though I'll keep testing.

Great! I'm really glad to hear that.

Curt

Curt Hibbs

RC3 adds back the missing support for OpenGL. There were no other changes,
so if you don't need OpenGL, then you don't need to download RC3.

Curt

Lothar Scholz

Hello Curt,

CH> I have uploaded a release candidate for Ruby Installer that was built using
CH> the stable snapshot of the Ruby CVS dated 2004-06-30 (yes, that *is* today).

Is it possible to use a schema like python for adding information to
the registry about installed ruby versions. Every tool writer (like
me) needs this to detect the core library etc and also installer
programs for libraries should use it to install there stuff in the
right ruby directory.

Python installs under:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\{major}.{minor}"

at least two things:

"InstallPath", and "Help\Main Python Documentation"

The later one would be the pragmatic programmer *.chm file.
It would be a great help if we could do the same.
What's your oppinion about this ?