[ANN] Ruby Setup 5 (setup.rb)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Intransition, Jan 13, 2010.

  1. Intransition

    Intransition Guest

    Ruby Setup 5

    * http://proutils.github.com/setup
    * http://github.com/protuls/setup

    I released version 5.0.0 of Ruby Setup last night (i.e. setup.rb).
    Ruby Setup is a fork (or perhaps a better term is torch) of Minero
    Aoki's setup.rb 3.4.1. Version 5 is major re-implementation of the
    system as explicated in the release notes below.

    Despite the numerous Cucumber tests I've implemented, being such a
    major overhaul I think it prudent to label this release "betaware",
    until such time as enough feedback confirms otherwise. If you have any
    use for this application, please give it a try and let me know if you
    have any issues with it, so I can *ensure* an absolutely solid release
    as soon as possible.

    There are two ways to use Ruby Setup. You can install 'gem install
    setup' and use 'setup.rb' as a standard executable. Or you download
    the bundled 'setup' script and include it your project --either as
    'script/setup' or renamed as 'setup.rb', just like old times ;-)

    Release Notes:

    Version 5 represents a major milestone in Setup.rb's development.
    While the 4.x series focused on improving on aspects of the orginal
    3.4.1 code base by Minero Aoki, this version takes the next step and
    reworks the entire script into an truly object-oriented design. In so
    doing, the system no longer traverses project directories one-by-one
    installing or compiling files as they are come across, but instead
    collects a list of files to handle up front, then iterates through
    them performing the required action.

    Changes:

    * 5 Major Changes

    * Split script into distinct classes, one for each setup phase.
    * Testing is handled by optional script/test or .setup/testrc.rb
    file.
    * Renamed 'setup' phase to 'make' phase.
    * Deprecated MetaConfig API; support singleton extensions instead.
    * Deprecated support for Ruby versions older than v1.6.2.

    * 3 Minor Changes

    * Returned to using InstalledFiles for record installation and
    improved.
    * Use SetupConfig to store system configuration.
    * Improved configuration options (eg. can use --type instead of --
    installdirs).

    Intransition, Jan 13, 2010