ANN: ruby-snarl

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Patrick Hurley, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. Envious of autotest/growl integration, but stuck in Win32 land? Well
    come checkout ruby-snarl - the initial release includes full support
    of autotest, but can be used for most any application that needs an
    attractive GUI notification tool.

    Background
    I watched zenspider's movie
    (http://blog.zenspider.com/archives/2006/07/autotest_no_lon.html) of
    autotest and the cute growl status notifications and had another
    moment of Mac envy. My job keeps me firmly in Win32 and Linux and a
    new Mac is a hard sell to the office manager, so I had to find another
    way to fill feed my eye candy/work float addiction.

    At the RubyMI (http://rubymi.org/) meeting one of our wonderful
    members mentioned that there was a Win32 growl like notifier called
    snarl (http://www.fullphat.net/snarl.html), it is not as good as
    growl, but appears to be under active development and has the basics
    in place. So I wrote a Ruby interface
    (http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-snarl/), which is available as a
    gem. Note you must download and install snarl for this to work.

    Have fun
    pth

    Patrick Hurley, Aug 7, 2006

  2. Patrick Hurley wrote:
    > Envious of autotest/growl integration, but stuck in Win32 land? Well
    > come checkout ruby-snarl - the initial release includes full support
    > of autotest, but can be used for most any application that needs an
    > attractive GUI notification tool.

    Ah, excellent, didn't know about snarl, with ruby bindings it might be
    really useful.

    Though few points,
    I'd like clarification in the rdoc that zero timeout is the same as
    infinite timeout (maybe a constant for it even?)

    And the update method doesn't check for the icon being nil before
    trying to expand the path, so I can't give nil for it (which is
    actually the default)

    Also the examples 2-4 seem to use a number for the icons, but again,
    it tries to expand the path and fails. I guess it's supposed to be the
    timeout?

    Otherwise it seems perfect, thank you for it =)

    --
    Mikko Lehtonen

    Mikko Lehtonen, Aug 8, 2006

  3. On 8/8/06, Mikko Lehtonen <> wrote:
    > Ah, excellent, didn't know about snarl, with ruby bindings it might be
    > really useful.

    My thoughts exactly -- it (snarl), is poorly publicized, but seems
    stable and useful.

    > I'd like clarification in the rdoc that zero timeout is the same as
    > infinite timeout (maybe a constant for it even?)

    Fixed in docs and added a NO_TIMEOUT constant.

    > And the update method doesn't check for the icon being nil before
    > trying to expand the path, so I can't give nil for it (which is
    > actually the default)

    Fixed -- this is why I need tests and this at least I can test for --
    I will add some interface tests today.

    > Also the examples 2-4 seem to use a number for the icons, but again,
    > it tries to expand the path and fails. I guess it's supposed to be the
    > timeout?

    Yup, initially I did not support icons, the examples will be fixed later today.

    > Otherwise it seems perfect, thank you for it =)

    You are very welcome, thanks for finding my rough edges
    pth

    Patrick Hurley, Aug 8, 2006