[ANN] RubyGems 0.8.4

Chad Fowler

= Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.4

Hello and Happy New Year! We've now surpassed 10,000 downloads of
RubyGems and are starting to see a real rhythm of new gems being
published. Thanks to the efforts of many dedicated Rubyists, 2005
will be remembered as the year everything took shape in the world of
ruby package distribution.

We have just released RubyGems 0.8.4. 0.8.4 is a small release, but it
fixes some fairly major installation issues (thanks Ryan Davis) and
addresses some speed issues with requires (thanks Eric Hodel, Gavin
Sinclair, and Jim Weirich).

== What is RubyGems?

RubyGems is a package management system for Ruby applications and
libraries. RubyGems one command download makes installing Ruby
software fun and enjoyable again. (Ok, not really.)

Many gems are available for download from the RubyForge site. Browse
the list of gems with a "gem list --remote" command and download what
you need with a simple "gem install <name-of-gem>". RubyGems takes
care of the details of installing, not only the gem you requested, but
also any gems needed by the software you selected.

So now you are asking ...

== How can I get all this great stuff?

Well, here's how ...

To download and install:

1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
3. INSTALL WITH: ruby setup.rb all (you may need admin/root privilege)

... or, if you have an existing RubyGem installation ....

$ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
$ update_rubygems (... here too)

I bet you are wondering...

== So What's Changed in this Release?

* Rubygems 0.8.3's installer was broken unless you already had an
older version of RubyGems installed. That's fixed.

* Change in the way Gem::Specification internally deals with lazy
attributes and defaults, bringing (with some loadpath_manager changes)
a fairly significant increase in speed.

* Support for lower-cased Gem file names (for you, Paul Duncan :)

* Erik Veenstra's patch for making Gem versions sortable.

Keep those gems coming!

- Chad Fowler (for the RubyGems team)

http://chadfowler.com
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over 50,000 gems served!)

gabriele renzi

Richard Lyman ha scritto:
What state is the graphical gem installer/browser in?

-Rich

.... and, there is a chance to speed up remote gem search/install by
local caching and download of diffed stuff ?

Chad Fowler

Thursday

Chad said:
= Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.4

Hello and Happy New Year! We've now surpassed 10,000 downloads of
RubyGems and are starting to see a real rhythm of new gems being
published. Thanks to the efforts of many dedicated Rubyists, 2005
will be remembered as the year everything took shape in the world of
ruby package distribution.

We have just released RubyGems 0.8.4. 0.8.4 is a small release, but it
fixes some fairly major installation issues (thanks Ryan Davis) and
addresses some speed issues with requires (thanks Eric Hodel, Gavin
Sinclair, and Jim Weirich).

Many thanks!!!

Out of curiosity, how much of RubyGems is leveraging existing existing
work in projects such as Perl's CPAN, Gentoo's Portage, FreeBSD's ports,
NetBSD's pkgsrc, Debian's apt-get, etc...?

Maybe some of the remaining work can leverage work already
completed/tested in other projects. Particularly more complex issues
related to caching, etc.

firestar

I used gems to install rails on win2K, but not able to do so behind a
proxy server. Even using the -p option does not help.

Only now I realise that by adding the 'HTTP_PROXY' environment variable
in windows, the problem is solved! Just thought of sharing this tip
here, as my previous google attempt did not seem to find this...

Craig Moran

Here's another tip that worked for me even though I am on a severely
locked down Windows 2000 box where I cannot set any Windows
environment variables such as HTTP_PROXY. This line may be entered at
a command prompt:

"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails -p http://proxy:80

My ruby version using the One Click Installer
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

Hope this helps someone. Peace
Craig

Jim Weirich

firestar said:
I used gems to install rails on win2K, but not able to do so behind a
proxy server. Even using the -p option does not help.

Only now I realise that by adding the 'HTTP_PROXY' environment variable
in windows, the problem is solved! Just thought of sharing this tip
here, as my previous google attempt did not seem to find this...

I just tried both the environment variable and the -p option under windows
XP and both variations were fine. Can anyone confirm a problem on Windows
2000 with the -p proxy option?

Thanks.

Paul Duncan

--1v8LApbBbwSIdZK7

* Chad Fowler ([email protected]) said:
=3D Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.4
=20
Hello and Happy New Year! We've now surpassed 10,000 downloads of
RubyGems and are starting to see a real rhythm of new gems being
published. Thanks to the efforts of many dedicated Rubyists, 2005
will be remembered as the year everything took shape in the world of
ruby package distribution.
=20 [snipped]

* Support for lower-cased Gem file names (for you, Paul Duncan :)

Thanks! :D

--=20
Paul Duncan <[email protected]> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

--1v8LApbBbwSIdZK7

--1v8LApbBbwSIdZK7--

MiG

Hello,

I'm a czech Ruby fan, now looking for a new job.. It's not possible to
find any ruby project here. Does anyone know about something like "Ruby
job announcement"?

I think more people are in the same situation - want to programm in Ruby
but aren't able to get a correspondent job. I think it's possible to
work over countries nowadays. Eight work hours & one company in one
bilding is the past.

Jan Molic
http://www.1984.cz

Lothar Scholz

Hello MiG,

M> work over countries nowadays. Eight work hours & one company in one
M> bilding is the past.

Yes we are more and more going back 100 years in time and start
working again 16 hours a day. Not that good.

And back to your question: Most companies normally hire on skills and not on a
special language. Learn many languages (at least 5) find a job and
then convince your boss to use the language you are most productive
and that fits well enough for your task.

Bil Kleb

Chad said:
= Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.4

Hello and Happy New Year!

Hello and thank you!

I just asked for an update of rails and got a new RedCloth
too? (I believe Britt raised this concern earlier?)

$ sudo gem update rails
Upgrading installed gems...
Attempting remote upgrade of RedCloth
Attempting remote installation of 'RedCloth'
Successfully installed RedCloth, version 3.0.0
Installing RDoc documentation for RedCloth-3.0.0...
WARNING: Generating RDoc on .gem that may not have RDoc.
Attempting remote upgrade of actionpack
Attempting remote installation of 'actionpack'

Regards,

Dido Sevilla

Hello,

I'm a czech Ruby fan, now looking for a new job.. It's not possible to
find any ruby project here. Does anyone know about something like "Ruby
job announcement"?

Given that Ruby is nowhere near as mainstream as Java or Perl or even
Python, it is very rare to see a project that specifically would use
Ruby. Often, what I find myself doing is convincing potential clients
of the merits of Ruby for a particular project, and well, most of them
are smart enough to remember that they hired our team for our
technical expertise, and that they shouldn't be meddling too much in
technical matters like choice of implementation language.

It would be better to be able dictate the language of an upcoming
project yourself, rather than be committed to some language that is
suboptimal for the task. Even Ruby is not the right language for doing
everything.
I think more people are in the same situation - want to programm in Ruby
but aren't able to get a correspondent job. I think it's possible to
work over countries nowadays. Eight work hours & one company in one
bilding is the past.

As are walls that go all the way to the ceiling. ;)

Most jobs for programmers are on a per-project basis these days, and
the only reason that companies that do IT services even still exist is
to provide some framework. Most programmers would not have the ability
to market themselves and their skills out of a cardboard box, and
would have little contact with the brick and mortar businesses that
might need their services.

Jamis Buck

Hello and thank you!

I just asked for an update of rails and got a new RedCloth
too? (I believe Britt raised this concern earlier?)

$ sudo gem update rails
Upgrading installed gems...
Attempting remote upgrade of RedCloth
Attempting remote installation of 'RedCloth'
Successfully installed RedCloth, version 3.0.0
Installing RDoc documentation for RedCloth-3.0.0...
WARNING: Generating RDoc on .gem that may not have RDoc.
Attempting remote upgrade of actionpack
Attempting remote installation of 'actionpack'

I believe this is because 'gem update' updates all gems on your
machine. You can't give it a parameter and have it just update that
gem. Instead, you could do 'gem install rails', perhaps...?

- Jamis

leon breedt

Learn many languages (at least 5) find a job and
then convince your boss to use the language you are most productive
and that fits well enough for your task.
This approach seems to work. We're primarily a C#/Perl shop, but I
could convince folks to give Ruby a try once I'd delivered a few other
projects.

Management typically doesn't care about the underlying tech as long as
it works, and works reliably. Unless, of course, they strive for
buzzword-compliance :)

Leon

Dido Sevilla

Management typically doesn't care about the underlying tech as long as
it works, and works reliably. Unless, of course, they strive for
buzzword-compliance :)

In which case you should try to find another place to work as soon as
possible! ;)

Nothing brings a company down as quickly as management that tries to
meddle too deeply in technical matters that they do not really
understand.

Sarah Tanembaum

Chad said:
[...]

I was wondering if you can add some kind of progress bar to indicate
that the update is going on. Otherwise, there is no way to know that it
works. Thanks

Premshree Pillai

Hello MiG,

M> work over countries nowadays. Eight work hours & one company in one
M> bilding is the past.

Yes we are more and more going back 100 years in time and start
working again 16 hours a day. Not that good.

And back to your question: Most companies normally hire on skills and not on a
special language. Learn many languages (at least 5) find a job and
then convince your boss to use the language you are most productive
and that fits well enough for your task.

Absolutely agree with you. Language is only a tool that one uses to
solve problems. No company hires a person based on his language skills
-- unless the company is run by a bunch of retards.

Companies normally look into a person's problem solving abilities.
Language is really secondary. Now what language you can use for your
projects depends on the amount of freedom that you have -- which is
usually less in a big-company setting.

Of course, you could always *try* to convince a company why language A
would be better then language B -- and you're reasons must be good, of
course. It also depends how willing your company is to let you use a
language that itself doesn't become the problem. ;)

Eustaquio Rangel de Oliveira Jr.