[ANN] RubyGems 0.8.4

Zach Dennis

Mikael said:
Good day!

As you've noticed, my post is a gigantic generalization. Sorry about
that.

I dont think you need to clarify or apologize for anything. Stereotypes
don't exist by fluke. I do 90% of my programming at work in Java, and
10% in Ruby (although 95% of my side projects in Ruby).

With myself using Java extensively I don't mind what you said at all,
you can never please everybody with any opinion, and I enjoyed reading
your. =)

Zach

Mikael Brockman

Zach Dennis said:
I dont think you need to clarify or apologize for
anything. Stereotypes don't exist by fluke. I do 90% of my programming
at work in Java, and 10% in Ruby (although 95% of my side projects in
Ruby).

You have a good chance of being employed by the hugely successful Mikael
Brockman Software Corporation!!

Eustaquio Rangel de Oliveira Jr.

Hi!

| As you've noticed, my post is a gigantic generalization. Sorry about
| that.

No need for apologize. :)

| I like using XML to store documents, and XSLT is pretty neat, too. What
| I don't like about Java culture is how it tends to overuse XML for
| configuring stuff that should be done in code. See Rails vs any of the
| overengineered Java web stuff.

Yeah, that really mades me sick also. Everything needs to be *huge*, and if
it's not, they say you don't know what you're talking about. Argh. :p

| I agree with you. People used to the Java mentality try to use it in
| Ruby, too. But that stuff doesn't survive in Ruby's culture. People
| used to the Ruby mentality will probably apply it to Java development,
| and I'm not sure what will happen. Maybe the recent undercurrents of
| simplicity are due to Pythonic and Rubian influence.

Yeah, the best thing I see when learning some languages is making this kind
of "filter". You become wondering how things works and it's a very cool thing.

|>Thanks God I never used J2EE or EJB's and never tempted by it. :)
| Me neither. :)

Oooofs. They missed us. :)

|>You could hire yourself and give you some cool tips about programming. :)
| Yes, that would be fun!

I bet all of us wants a chance like that. Go back on the past and say "hey,
you stupid, what are you doing, check this out, now!" ehehe. :)

| I'm not disputing that excellent Java/C++/C#/VB developers exist. I
| just think they're a lot rarer than excellent Rubyists, Pythonistas,
| Smalltalkers, or Lispers.

Now you got a point. Seems that there's some kind of people that are more
convicted to others (even on those languages, but they do exist) on some,
let me say, "alternatives" languages.

| Don't accuse me of stuff like that. I wouldn't try to *stop* my
| employees from doing whatever they like in their spare time. But I'd
| certainly ask them about it before I'd hire them. Because if a
| candidate works on open source projects in Ruby in his spare time,
| that's a fantastic sign.

No, was not a really serious accusation. Sorry about that. I put a :) on
the end but sometimes is hard to express here this kind of thing. :)

| Indeed. If I were on that project, I'd suck it up and use Java in a
| heartbeat. Maybe I'd see if one of the JVM dynamic languages would
| work. If not, sure, use Java! The great Ruby coders I hired can
| probably adapt to anything. :)

Yeah, do it on Java but when put it to work start to find a turn-around.
:) I made this with a software here, because I just knew how to do that in
Java, but learned how to make in Python and now propabilly I'll convert it
to Ruby. As it's a software that runs on the server, no problem to make
this kind of thing, users don't are bothered about that. :)

Hey, it's nice to talk with you guys. :)

Best regards,

- ----------------------------
Eustáquio "TaQ" Rangel
(e-mail address removed)
http://beam.to/taq
Usuário GNU/Linux no. 224050

Oliver Cromm

No company hires a person based on his language skills

Add ...alone, and I agree.
-- unless the company is run by a bunch of retards.

If the task of the employed is to maintain and extend large existing
applications, knowledge of the language used becomes a prerequisite. And
this is not a rare scenario. Although it becomes more and more possible
to integrate modules from different languages, for maintainability
reasons this is not always favorable.

Premshree Pillai

Add ...alone, and I agree.

If the task of the employed is to maintain and extend large existing
applications, knowledge of the language used becomes a prerequisite. And

Yes, knowledge of the domain language is _important_, but _secondary_.
Problem solving skills come first.

Also, a lot of organizations hire people based on their
problem-solving skills alone -- i.e., whether or not the person knows
the _required_ domain knowledge -- and train them on stuff that the
organization uses. (This is true of most big organizations in India;
smaller companies, generally, do not have a training process.)

Szymon Drejewicz

I'm trying to install Rails using RubyGems but something is wrong:error stops the installation, and Rails isn't properly installed.

Szymon Drejewicz
OS: Linux FC2, Ruby 1.8.1, Gem 0.8.4

---------------

[root rubygems-0.8.4]# gem install rails
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Install required dependency rake? [Yn]
Install required dependency activerecord? [Yn]
Install required dependency actionpack? [Yn]
Install required dependency actionmailer? [Yn]
Successfully installed rails, version 0.9.3
Installing RDoc documentation for rails-0.9.3...
WARNING: Generating RDoc on .gem that may not have RDoc.

lib/binding_of_caller.rb:4:25: Couldn't find Continuation. Assuming it's a
module

lib/binding_of_caller.rb:36:21: Couldn't find Binding. Assuming it's a
module

lib/rails_generator.rb:34:46: Skipping require of dynamic string:
"#{path}/#{name}_generator.rb"
Installing RDoc documentation for rake-0.4.15...
Installing RDoc documentation for activerecord-1.4.0...

lib/active_record/support/binding_of_caller.rb:4:25: Couldn't find
Continuation. Assuming it's a module

lib/active_record/support/binding_of_caller.rb:36:21: Couldn't find Binding.
Assuming it's a module
Installing RDoc documentation for actionpack-1.2.0...

lib/action_controller/scaffolding.rb:87:37: Skipping require of dynamic
string: "#{model_id.id2name}"

lib/action_controller/support/binding_of_caller.rb:4:25: Couldn't find
Continuation. Assuming it's a module

lib/action_controller/support/binding_of_caller.rb:36:21: Couldn't find
Binding. Assuming it's a module
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
undefined method `find_module_named' for nil:NilClass

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Exactly right. Pretty much any tool can be abused. I'll bet it's even possible
to write bad Ruby code. ;-)

Also, document versus data markup are recognized as having different
needs. However, the benefit of having only one standard was assumed to
outweight the extra complexity of data markup. However, YAML does
prove the benefit of a light-weight data-centric markup quite nicely-
at least in a language like Ruby.

Also, I think it's important to consider the full suite of XML tools-
XML, XPath, XQuery, Schemas (DTD, Schema, RelaxNG) and XSLT (less for
this one)- and the ultimate user audience (programmers, sys admins or
business users). Again this speaks to why you would want one
standard. I'm currently migrating a YAML prototype to XML so I can
considering deploying to business users who hate technology. The
verbose end tags in XML help here, as do schemas and end-user editing
tools.

RelaxNG fixes a lot of schema issues. The main issue with XML
remaining, IMHO, is XSLT. An alternate light-weight text syntax is a
nice idea, but there are some cool tools that do that, with
appropriate translations back and forth. And editors can simulate that
for the user as well (though that is less then ideal, since it may not
be in your favorite editor).

For the most part, I think XML and Java make a good fit. I'm more
comfortable with xml for configuration files I don't right myself.
Better error checking, schema validation, etc. And Java's verbosity
makes XMLs verbosity comparitively less intrusive for configuring
services, parameters, etc.

Nick

Robert Klemme

Premshree Pillai said:
Yes, knowledge of the domain language is _important_, but _secondary_.
Problem solving skills come first.

Also, a lot of organizations hire people based on their
problem-solving skills alone -- i.e., whether or not the person knows
the _required_ domain knowledge -- and train them on stuff that the
organization uses. (This is true of most big organizations in India;
smaller companies, generally, do not have a training process.)

Could it be that different organizations have different priorities for
different jobs?

Kind regards

robert

Premshree Pillai

Could it be that different organizations have different priorities for
different jobs?

Yes, of course! In such cases knowledge of the language alone might
suffice -- after all, everybody has a non-zero skill level :). (I hope
I understood your question right.)

Jim Weirich

Szymon Drejewicz said:
I'm trying to install Rails using RubyGems but something is wrong:
error stops the installation, and Rails isn't properly installed.

I actually saw this while helping a friend install Rails last night. It
seems to be happening during the RDoc generation phase, but I'm not sure
if the cause lies with RubyGems or RDOc.

With the exception of the RDoc web pages, I think that Rails is properly
installed. Just to make sure, you can retry it with the --no-rdoc option
to workaround the problem for now.

Dick Davies

* Nicholas Van Weerdenburg said:
For the most part, I think XML and Java make a good fit. I'm more
comfortable with xml for configuration files I don't right myself.
Better error checking, schema validation, etc. And Java's verbosity
makes XMLs verbosity comparitively less intrusive for configuring
services, parameters, etc.

I think that's the clincher in a lot of the Java uses of XML.
If you can use a code generator to build classes from XML, you only have
to write XML, which is marginally less awful than having to write Java.....

I initially saw YAML as A Better XML and started writing everything I could
in it until someone pointed out that ruby isn't much more verbose than YAML,
and it's easier to test and debug, so now I tend to write the data as ruby
in the first place.

Course if you need to talk to other systems these days you need to speak XML,
but that's no reason to infect all your code with it...

Similar ideas expressed here:

http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html

(ignore the p word there, just / down to "XML is not the answer")...

Eustaquio Rangel de Oliveira Jr.

Bill Atkins

I just installed RubyGems 0.8.4, but now "requre 'RUDL'" raises this:

irb(main):001:0> require 'RUDL'
NameError: undefined method `print_centered' for class `RUDL::SFont'
from (eval):113
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:18:in
`require'
from (irb):1

This seems to have only affected RUDL. It used to work fine before
installing RubyGems. What's this about?

ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

Bill

Bill Atkins

Someone else is having this problem too (see message "RUBY 1.8.2 and RUDL")

Any news on this? I can only require RUDL if I use require__ (i.e. by
bypassing RubyGems' require method).

Bill

I just installed RubyGems 0.8.4, but now "requre 'RUDL'" raises this:

irb(main):001:0> require 'RUDL'
NameError: undefined method `print_centered' for class `RUDL::SFont'
from (eval):113
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:18:in
`require'
from (irb):1

This seems to have only affected RUDL. It used to work fine before
installing RubyGems. What's this about?

ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

Bill

= Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.4

Hello and Happy New Year! We've now surpassed 10,000 downloads of
RubyGems and are starting to see a real rhythm of new gems being
published. Thanks to the efforts of many dedicated Rubyists, 2005
will be remembered as the year everything took shape in the world of
ruby package distribution.

We have just released RubyGems 0.8.4. 0.8.4 is a small release, but it
fixes some fairly major installation issues (thanks Ryan Davis) and
addresses some speed issues with requires (thanks Eric Hodel, Gavin
Sinclair, and Jim Weirich).

== What is RubyGems?

RubyGems is a package management system for Ruby applications and
libraries. RubyGems one command download makes installing Ruby
software fun and enjoyable again. (Ok, not really.)

Many gems are available for download from the RubyForge site. Browse
the list of gems with a "gem list --remote" command and download what
you need with a simple "gem install <name-of-gem>". RubyGems takes
care of the details of installing, not only the gem you requested, but
also any gems needed by the software you selected.

So now you are asking ...

== How can I get all this great stuff?

Well, here's how ...

To download and install:

1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
3. INSTALL WITH: ruby setup.rb all (you may need admin/root privilege)

... or, if you have an existing RubyGem installation ....

$ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
$ update_rubygems (... here too)

I bet you are wondering...

== So What's Changed in this Release?

* Rubygems 0.8.3's installer was broken unless you already had an
older version of RubyGems installed. That's fixed.

* Change in the way Gem::Specification internally deals with lazy
attributes and defaults, bringing (with some loadpath_manager changes)
a fairly significant increase in speed.

* Support for lower-cased Gem file names (for you, Paul Duncan :)

* Erik Veenstra's patch for making Gem versions sortable.

Keep those gems coming!

- Chad Fowler (for the RubyGems team)

http://chadfowler.com
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over 50,000 gems served!)

--
$stdout.sync = true
"Just another Ruby hacker.".each_byte do |b|