[ANN] SWS 0.2 released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Marek Janukowicz, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. I am proud to announce new release of SWS web development library.

    What is SWS?

    SWS is a web development library. Its major design goal is to follow
    the Model-View-Controller pattern, to take the burden of parsing HTTP
    parameters and keeping the session information out of developer
    shoulders and to make web applications easier to write by using reusable
    components. It enables rapid development and easy maintaining of even
    complex web applications, such as database ones (together with database
    access library - SDS.

    What's new in this release:

    1. Adaptors - the application can be deployed standalone or
    as a FastCGI program and additional adaptors (like a
    Webrick one) can be easily added
    2. Frameworks (libraries containing components, code and
    resources
    3. HTML parser rewritten (should now parse all valid HTML
    files)
    4. Resource (images, CSS files etc.) handling
    5. DirectAction (URL-based entry points)
    6. Component-based customizable exception handling
    7. Several new components (FileUpload, Link, GenericContainer
    and GenericElement)
    8. Multipart/form data handling
    9. Session number limit and two scenarios when the limit
    reached (kill LRU session or refuse new one)
    10. .sws files have now YAML format. .api files added
    11. A lot of code refactorings and bugfixes
    12. New documentation, tutorial and more examples

    Where to get it:

    Home page - http://www.starware.one.pl/software/sws/index.html
    Tarball URL -
    http://www.starware.one.pl/software/download/sws/sws-latest.tar.gz

    Please send any suggestions/blames to .

    --
    Marek Janukowicz
    Marek Janukowicz, Mar 5, 2004

  2. On Mar 5, 2004, at 11:09 AM, Marek Janukowicz wrote:
    > I am proud to announce new release of SWS web development library.

    [...]
    > Home page - http://www.starware.one.pl/software/sws/index.html
    > Tarball URL -
    > http://www.starware.one.pl/software/download/sws/sws-latest.tar.gz

    I'm just about to embark upon a large application, and am very
    interested in checking this out.

    I'm especially impressed that you have released it not only with
    reasonably complete RDoc documentation, but a user guide and tutorial,
    too! (Proper documentation seems to be one of the biggest barriers I'm
    having when evaluating various fledgling Ruby-based web frameworks.)

    Thanks muchly for your work...feedback soon! :)
    --
    (-, /\ \/ / /\/
    Gavin Kistner, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Marek Janukowicz <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am proud to announce new release of SWS web development library.
    >
    > What is SWS?
    >
    > SWS is a web development library. Its major design goal is to follow
    > the Model-View-Controller pattern, to take the burden of parsing HTTP
    > parameters and keeping the session information out of developer
    > shoulders and to make web applications easier to write by using reusable
    > components. It enables rapid development and easy maintaining of even
    > complex web applications, such as database ones (together with database
    > access library - SDS.

    Looks wonderful! As a big fan of the WebObjects philosophy, I'm
    looking forward to playing with this.

    One question - why _class: rather than class: in the sws files?

    martin
    Martin DeMello, Mar 6, 2004
  4. Marek Janukowicz wrote:

    >I am proud to announce new release of SWS web development library.
    >
    >What is SWS?
    >
    >SWS is a web development library. Its major design goal is to follow
    >the Model-View-Controller pattern, to take the burden of parsing HTTP
    >parameters and keeping the session information out of developer
    >shoulders and to make web applications easier to write by using reusable
    >components. It enables rapid development and easy maintaining of even
    >complex web applications, such as database ones (together with database
    >access library - SDS.

    How does SWS compare to CGIKit or other WebObjects-like frameworks? I
    only know Tapestry (Java) and I love it, but I would also like to start
    learning such a framework for the Ruby language. It would be great if
    you could compare your framework if possible.

    Thanks,
    Michael
    Michael Nestler, Mar 6, 2004
  5. On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 03:00:57 +0900, Michael Nestler wrote:
    >>I am proud to announce new release of SWS web development library.
    >>
    >>What is SWS?
    >>
    >>SWS is a web development library. Its major design goal is to follow
    >>the Model-View-Controller pattern, to take the burden of parsing HTTP
    >>parameters and keeping the session information out of developer
    >>shoulders and to make web applications easier to write by using reusable
    >>components. It enables rapid development and easy maintaining of even
    >>complex web applications, such as database ones (together with database
    >>access library - SDS.

    > How does SWS compare to CGIKit or other WebObjects-like frameworks? I
    > only know Tapestry (Java) and I love it, but I would also like to start
    > learning such a framework for the Ruby language. It would be great if
    > you could compare your framework if possible.

    The most usual question - I think I'll add the answer to the
    announcement and documentation on next release :)

    Disclaimer: the comparison below can be unfair, incomplete, biased or
    totally wrong - but I am writing it using my best knowledge (which may
    be a bit out of date). Please correct me if I am wrong at any point.

    SWS vs CGIKit:

    The biggest difference is that CGIKit (as the name suggests) supposed to
    be used to create CGI and mod_ruby (= non-persistent) applications. In
    contrast, SWS is designed to create persitent, FastCGI or standalone
    applications. So if you want to write some short script, CGIKit may suit
    you better. But if you need to implement a full-blown application, SWS
    should be better.

    Another differences - Session objects and binding/slot handling are a
    bit simplified in CGIKit, while in SWS they are very similar to what
    WebObjects offers. But in fact it is rather a small difference for the
    user.

    I also think SWS has better documentation now, however CGIKit docs are
    good too. I just realized Suzuki has an example of addressbook and I use
    such an example for a tutorial :) But this is just a conincidence, I
    didn't meant to pick his brain :)

    I was about to write SWS has a database library coupled with it and
    CGIKit doesn't, but I entered CGIKit homepage and saw something called
    TapKit, so SWS has no longer clear advantage at this point :) Yet TapKit
    only supports MySQL now and SDS supports also PostgreSQL (and it is very
    easy to add support for new databases).

    I also want to make SWS as fast as possible without loosing the
    functionality - I would like to rewrite the core in C, if it would
    improve the speed. I think Ruby is really missing a library to write
    serious, complex WWW applications and would like to fill this gap. I
    know there is still a lot of work before me, but I would gladly see Ruby
    in the areas where now Java (for example) is used. That's why I want to
    create real development tools for SWS (using KDevelop and Quanta as a
    base probably) - I know it is possible to write everything using Vim (I
    use it myself a lot), but - using WebObjects daily at work I realize how
    often simple tools like WebObjects Builder and EOModeler can save your
    butt :)

    After all, SWS and CGIKit are quite similar - if the biggest difference
    I mentioned above wasn't there, I would be probably involved in CGIKit
    development now :) There is a possibility SWS and CGIKit could merge at
    some point, but right now there are too many differences in design, not
    the functionality...

    SWS vs Java libraries (WebObjects and Tapestry):

    SWS is modelled after WebObjects, so in the areas where Tapestry is
    similar to WO, it is similar to SWS too :)

    SWS is intended to be as similar to WebObjects as possible, but there
    are a lot of differences caused by the differences in underlying
    programming languages. There are also some WebObjects concepts missing
    in SWS, like D2W and external adaptors. I'd like to add some new ideas
    to SWS, like internal testing capabilities, which are absent in WO.

    --
    Marek Janukowicz
    Marek Janukowicz, Mar 7, 2004