[ANN] Validate, Search and Transform XML with XML Hammer 1.0 rc-2

Discussion in 'XML' started by Edwin Dankert, Oct 3, 2007.

  1. I am very pleased to announce the release of the second release-
    candidate of version 1.0 of the XML Hammer application.

    The XML Hammer application is a free and open-source tool that
    simplifies elementary XML actions like checking for well-formedness,
    validation, transformation and xpath searches using any JAXP
    implementation.

    This release fixes all previously outstanding issues and also adds out-
    of-the-box support for RelaxNG schema validation.

    The main bugs fixed are:

    * Improved console output,
    * .sh file no longer calls javaw,
    * again possible to add items to the class-path.

    To download this version please go to:
    http://www.xmlhammer.org/downloads.html

    Issues can be reported by either sending an e-mail directly to me [1],
    sending an e-mail to the mailing-lists [2] or by using the issue
    tracking [3] system.

    Kind regards,
    Edwin Dankert

    [1] edankert at gmail dot com
    [2] http://www.xmlhammer.org/mail-lists.html
    [3] http://www.xmlhammer.org/issue-tracking.html

    Edwin Dankert, Oct 3, 2007

  2. Edwin Dankert

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Re: [ANN] Validate, Search and Transform XML with XML Hammer 1.0rc-2

    Edwin Dankert wrote:
    > I am very pleased to announce the release of the second release-
    > candidate of version 1.0 of the XML Hammer application.

    This looks very useful, but the Open action wants an XML Hammer Project
    file...but there is no New action to create one.

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Oct 3, 2007

  3. Re: [ANN] Validate, Search and Transform XML with XML Hammer 1.0rc-2

    Edwin Dankert wrote:
    > I am very pleased to announce the release of the second release-
    > candidate of version 1.0 of the XML Hammer application.

    Haven't looked at the tool yet, but I love the name. <grin/>

    Joe Kesselman, Oct 4, 2007
  4. Edwin Dankert

    Joe Kesselman wrote:
    > Edwin Dankert wrote:
    >> I am very pleased to announce the release of the second release-
    >> candidate of version 1.0 of the XML Hammer application.

    > Haven't looked at the tool yet, but I love the name. <grin/>

    I did once consider XML Spanner for an application which used PIs to
    mark start and end points for visual styles spanning across markup
    boundaries, like GRiF used to do :)

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Oct 4, 2007
  5. Re: Validate, Search and Transform XML with XML Hammer 1.0 rc-2

    Thank you very much for the comment.

    An XML Hammer project can be either of the 5 types of projects
    (XML Parser, XPath Search, XSL Transform, Schema Validator or
    Stylesheet Validator) which can be created using either the
    file -> new menu-option or the toolbar button.

    Do you think it is confusing to use a generic name for these
    projects?

    Kind regards,
    Edwin
    --
    http://www.edankert.com/

    Edwin Dankert, Oct 5, 2007
  6. Edwin Dankert

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Edwin Dankert wrote:
    > Thank you very much for the comment.
    >
    > An XML Hammer project can be either of the 5 types of projects
    > (XML Parser, XPath Search, XSL Transform, Schema Validator or
    > Stylesheet Validator) which can be created using either the
    > file -> new menu-option or the toolbar button.

    It wasn't obvious to me how I would check a file for well-formedness or
    validity, when there is no File | Open action. I think I may have
    misunderstood what this tool is for.

    > Do you think it is confusing to use a generic name for these
    > projects?

    I think it is...a user is file-centered, and expects to open a file and
    then do something to it. Asking them to open the action first, and the
    file afterwards, is counter-intuitive.

    When I open a new XML Parser (I think I am beginning to understand you
    now: you mean a new instance of a parser), it asks me to specify the
    input documents using a filter or a URI. Again, there is no File | Open
    action. I eventually managed to get it to validate the XML documents in
    a directory, but I'm not clear what advantage this program offers over

    $ for f in *.xml; onsgmls -wxml $f; done

    I couldn't get the radiobutton for SAX to work, and there is no explicit
    option for "validate according to external DTD", although it clearly did
    the work correctly on the file group I specified.

    I think this is a very good tool for a certain class of developer. I'm
    just probably not in the target beam for it.

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Oct 5, 2007
  7. Re: Validate, Search and Transform XML with XML Hammer 1.0 rc-2

    On Oct 5, 9:02 pm, Peter Flynn <> wrote:
    > I think it is...a user is file-centered, and expects to open a file and
    > then do something to it. Asking them to open the action first, and the
    > file afterwards, is counter-intuitive.

    I think I understand where you're coming from, the idea however was
    that when you select the New -> XML Parser option, you wouldn't
    really
    specify an action, instead, I wanted people to see it as creating a
    new 'project' which they can configure to their liking.

    > When I open a new XML Parser (I think I am beginning to understand you
    > now: you mean a new instance of a parser), it asks me to specify the
    > input documents using a filter or a URI. Again, there is no File | Open
    > action. I eventually managed to get it to validate the XML documents in
    > a directory, but I'm not clear what advantage this program offers over
    >
    > $ for f in *.xml; onsgmls -wxml $f; done

    I hope the advantages could be:
    [1] Configure the same as above using a User Interface,
    [2] The configuration can be saved and reused,
    [3] Potentially allows to specify more options,
    [4] Works with any JAXP 1.3 Processor,
    [5] Added functionality like XML catalog support.
    [6] Previously created configurations can be run from the
    command-line as well.

    > I couldn't get the radiobutton for SAX to work,

    I don't understand how the radio-button could not work?

    Could it maybe look like it does not work because you expect
    different options to appear?

    SAX and DOM provide the same basic set of options, it however uses
    a SAX or DOM Parser in the background when 'running' the 'project'.
    (note: it is possible using the 'project properties', to specify more
    specific DOM and SAX options as well)

    > and there is no explicit option for "validate according to external
    > DTD", although it clearly did the work correctly on the file group
    > I specified.

    Thanks for pointing this out ... 'Internal' was meant to represent:
    the DTD specified by the DOCTYPE declaration in the XML document.
    However I had forgotten about the meaning in the XML spec of
    'internal' and 'external' DTD subsets, which makes my use of the
    word very confusing.

    I will change this.

    > I think this is a very good tool for a certain class of developer. I'm
    > just probably not in the target beam for it.

    I hope people will find it handy.

    Thanks,
    Edwin
    --
    http://www.edankert.com/

    Edwin Dankert, Oct 6, 2007
  8. Edwin Dankert

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Edwin Dankert wrote:
    > I think I understand where you're coming from, the idea however was
    > that when you select the New -> XML Parser option, you wouldn't
    > really specify an action, instead, I wanted people to see it as
    > creating a new 'project' which they can configure to their liking.

    I think that was my misunderstanding, but it's down to my own
    work-pattern. I regularly parse and validate XML documents, but they are
    all unique instances. I simply don't have a need to create a project
    just to validate a document. But many others will have.

    >> I couldn't get the radiobutton for SAX to work,

    > I don't understand how the radio-button could not work?

    It would not select when I clicked on it. I assumed that there must be a
    component missing (like I needed to download Yet Another SAX Parser).

    > Could it maybe look like it does not work because you expect
    > different options to appear?

    No, it simply didn't respond to clicking. This was using J2RE
    1.5.0_08-b03 under Ubuntu Edgy.

    > Thanks for pointing this out ... 'Internal' was meant to represent:
    > the DTD specified by the DOCTYPE declaration in the XML document.
    > However I had forgotten about the meaning in the XML spec of
    > 'internal' and 'external' DTD subsets, which makes my use of the
    > word very confusing.

    It's a confusing business we're in :)

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Oct 6, 2007