[ANN] WhyRuby? repository has moved to ruby-doc.org

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Curt Hibbs, Oct 24, 2005.

  1. Curt Hibbs

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    ------=_Part_11156_8251590.1130164134055

    WhyRuby? was a project on RubyForge that I started to collect advocacy
    material for Ruby, and consists mostly of presentations on Ruby and Rails.
    There are lots of really good presentations in the repository, and if you
    are putting together a presentation on Ruby or Rails you should definitely
    take a look at what is available here.

    However, as the Ruby community has grown so much over the past year, I felt
    that the WhyRuby? repository wasn't getting much visibility. I'll bet that
    some of you reading this are hearing about WhyRuby? for the very first time=
    !

    So, in the interest in giving this valuable resource a much needed boost in
    continued visibility, I am happy to announce that James Britt has agreed to
    host this collection of presentations on rubydoc.org <http://rubydoc.org>.
    There is a link to the repository on the ruby-doc home page:

    http://ruby-doc.org/

    and the repository itself can be found here:

    http://ruby-doc.org/whyruby/

    If you have a presentation on Ruby, Rails, or any other useful advocacy
    materials, please consider sending them to ruby-doc for inclusion in the
    repository. If you have bookmarks to WhyRuby?, please update them for their
    new home (the old site will be going away).

    Many thanks to those of you who have already contributed, and many thanks t=
    James Britt for agreeing to rehost this repository on ruby-doc.

    Curt

    ------=_Part_11156_8251590.1130164134055--

    Curt Hibbs, Oct 24, 2005

  2. Curt Hibbs

    Ed Howland Guest

    On 10/24/05, Curt Hibbs <> wrote:

    > http://ruby-doc.org/
    >
    > and the repository itself can be found here:
    >
    > http://ruby-doc.org/whyruby/

    Great Curt. One small suggestion. Can you put a <title>Why
    Ruby?</title> on the page? This would make it play nicer in bookmarks
    and esp. del.icio.us descriptions.

    Ed

    Ed Howland, Oct 24, 2005

  3. Curt Hibbs

    James Britt Guest

    Ed Howland wrote:
    > On 10/24/05, Curt Hibbs <> wrote:
    >
    >>http://ruby-doc.org/
    >>
    >>and the repository itself can be found here:
    >>
    >>http://ruby-doc.org/whyruby/

    > Great Curt. One small suggestion. Can you put a <title>Why
    > Ruby?</title> on the page? This would make it play nicer in bookmarks
    > and esp. del.icio.us descriptions.

    I'll do that; requests for page changes and such should go to me, rather
    than Curt.

    Send such requests to

    suggestions AT ruby-doc DOT org

    Thanks,

    James Britt

    James Britt, Oct 24, 2005
  4. --nextPart5313537.GPWSkaP43N

    I have browsed the stuff a bit, but one thing i would love to be able to se=
    e=20
    is the "The Top 10 Reasons The Ruby Programming Language Sucks!".
    My problem is, that as far is i could google it up, this insanly big xml-fi=
    le=20
    is used by some apple-presentation-program that i do not own...
    Is there someone out there who could convert this to something OpenOffice2 =
    is=20
    happy with?
    Since it looks like a really good presentation, guessing only by viewing so=
    me=20
    of the text in the xml and the pictures.

    thx in pre
    manveru

    Michael Fellinger, Oct 24, 2005
  5. On Oct 24, 2005, at 3:50 PM, Michael Fellinger wrote:

    > I have browsed the stuff a bit, but one thing i would love to be
    > able to see
    > is the "The Top 10 Reasons The Ruby Programming Language Sucks!".
    > My problem is, that as far is i could google it up, this insanly
    > big xml-file
    > is used by some apple-presentation-program that i do not own...
    > Is there someone out there who could convert this to something
    > OpenOffice2 is
    > happy with?

    It's my presentation. I gave it to the University of Central
    Oklahoma recently and I think it went well.

    It is a Keynote file, as you've noticed. I let it in that format for
    all us Mac guys that want presentations too. I'll convert it to
    PowerPoint and post a link later. It doesn't translate perfectly,
    but it gets pretty close.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Oct 24, 2005
  6. On Oct 24, 2005, at 3:57 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

    > I'll convert it to PowerPoint and post a link later. It doesn't
    > translate perfectly, but it gets pretty close.

    Here's a PowerPoint version:

    http://grayproductions.net/ruby/why_ruby_sucks.zip

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Oct 25, 2005
  7. Curt Hibbs

    James Britt Guest

    James Edward Gray II wrote:
    > On Oct 24, 2005, at 3:57 PM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    >
    >> I'll convert it to PowerPoint and post a link later. It doesn't
    >> translate perfectly, but it gets pretty close.

    > Here's a PowerPoint version:
    >
    > http://grayproductions.net/ruby/why_ruby_sucks.zip

    Thanks; I've updated the site.

    James

    James Britt, Oct 25, 2005
  8. --nextPart1143436.NeOHb03P4r

    Thank you as well,

    The presentation is really good - i think i will put it on a simple webpage=
    to=20
    give newbies a really quick intro into ruby :)

    so long...
    manveru

    Michael Fellinger, Oct 25, 2005
  9. Re: WhyRuby? repository has moved to ruby-doc.org

    > It is a Keynote file, as you've noticed. I let it in that format for
    > all us Mac guys that want presentations too. I'll convert it to
    > PowerPoint and post a link later. It doesn't translate perfectly,
    > but it gets pretty close.

    Any chance of a (stipped down?) PDF version? I don't have PP nor
    Keynote.

    Thanks,

    Patrick

    Patrick Gundlach, Oct 25, 2005
  10. Curt Hibbs

    Edwin Guest

    Re: WhyRuby? repository has moved to ruby-doc.org

    OpenOffice (2) opens it perfectly (and should be able to convert it to pd=
    f)

    Edwin

    Edwin, Oct 25, 2005
  11. Re: WhyRuby? repository has moved to ruby-doc.org

    --nextPart3013483.Fmn1zF2PqV

    http://www.manveru.net/Speech.pdf

    just uploaded it for everyones joy...

    Michael Fellinger, Oct 25, 2005
  12. Re: WhyRuby? repository has moved to ruby-doc.org

    Hello Edwin,

    > OpenOffice (2) opens it perfectly (and should be able to convert it
    > to pd= f)

    OK, I was able to see the nice presentation, thanks.

    Patrick

    Patrick Gundlach, Oct 25, 2005
  13. Re: WhyRuby? repository has moved to ruby-doc.org

    --nextPart7802290.NBUmQKH0AW

    ok, after converting it to pdf, i thought html would be good as well :)
    so you can find the presentation (sorry for the german titles and stuff) at
    http://manveru.net/whyrubysucks/
    i will translate it maybe later, but navigating shouldn't be that much of a=
    =20
    problem to anybody.

    Michael Fellinger, Oct 25, 2005