[ANN] WhyRuby? repository has moved to ruby-doc.org

Curt Hibbs

------=_Part_11156_8251590.1130164134055

WhyRuby? was a project on RubyForge that I started to collect advocacy
material for Ruby, and consists mostly of presentations on Ruby and Rails.
There are lots of really good presentations in the repository, and if you
are putting together a presentation on Ruby or Rails you should definitely
take a look at what is available here.

However, as the Ruby community has grown so much over the past year, I felt
that the WhyRuby? repository wasn't getting much visibility. I'll bet that
some of you reading this are hearing about WhyRuby? for the very first time=
!

So, in the interest in giving this valuable resource a much needed boost in
continued visibility, I am happy to announce that James Britt has agreed to
host this collection of presentations on rubydoc.org <http://rubydoc.org>.
There is a link to the repository on the ruby-doc home page:

http://ruby-doc.org/

and the repository itself can be found here:

http://ruby-doc.org/whyruby/

If you have a presentation on Ruby, Rails, or any other useful advocacy
materials, please consider sending them to ruby-doc for inclusion in the
repository. If you have bookmarks to WhyRuby?, please update them for their
new home (the old site will be going away).

Many thanks to those of you who have already contributed, and many thanks t=
James Britt for agreeing to rehost this repository on ruby-doc.

Curt

------=_Part_11156_8251590.1130164134055--

James Britt

Ed said:
Great Curt. One small suggestion. Can you put a <title>Why
Ruby?</title> on the page? This would make it play nicer in bookmarks
and esp. del.icio.us descriptions.

I'll do that; requests for page changes and such should go to me, rather
than Curt.

Send such requests to

suggestions AT ruby-doc DOT org

Thanks,

James Britt

Michael Fellinger

--nextPart5313537.GPWSkaP43N

I have browsed the stuff a bit, but one thing i would love to be able to se=
e=20
is the "The Top 10 Reasons The Ruby Programming Language Sucks!".
My problem is, that as far is i could google it up, this insanly big xml-fi=
le=20
is used by some apple-presentation-program that i do not own...
Is there someone out there who could convert this to something OpenOffice2 =
is=20
happy with?
Since it looks like a really good presentation, guessing only by viewing so=
me=20
of the text in the xml and the pictures.

thx in pre
manveru

Am Montag 24 Oktober 2005 16:28 schrieb Curt Hibbs:
[...]

to James Britt for agreeing to rehost this repository on ruby-doc.

Curt

--nextPart5313537.GPWSkaP43N

--nextPart5313537.GPWSkaP43N--

James Edward Gray II

I have browsed the stuff a bit, but one thing i would love to be
able to see
is the "The Top 10 Reasons The Ruby Programming Language Sucks!".
My problem is, that as far is i could google it up, this insanly
big xml-file
is used by some apple-presentation-program that i do not own...
Is there someone out there who could convert this to something
OpenOffice2 is
happy with?

It's my presentation. I gave it to the University of Central
Oklahoma recently and I think it went well.

It is a Keynote file, as you've noticed. I let it in that format for
all us Mac guys that want presentations too. I'll convert it to
PowerPoint and post a link later. It doesn't translate perfectly,
but it gets pretty close.

James Edward Gray II

Michael Fellinger

--nextPart1143436.NeOHb03P4r

Thank you as well,

The presentation is really good - i think i will put it on a simple webpage=
to=20
give newbies a really quick intro into ruby :)

so long...
manveru

Am Dienstag 25 Oktober 2005 01:19 schrieb James Edward Gray II:
Here's a PowerPoint version:

http://grayproductions.net/ruby/why_ruby_sucks.zip

James Edward Gray II

--nextPart1143436.NeOHb03P4r

--nextPart1143436.NeOHb03P4r--

Patrick Gundlach

It is a Keynote file, as you've noticed. I let it in that format for
all us Mac guys that want presentations too. I'll convert it to
PowerPoint and post a link later. It doesn't translate perfectly,
but it gets pretty close.

Any chance of a (stipped down?) PDF version? I don't have PP nor
Keynote.

Thanks,

Patrick

Michael Fellinger

--nextPart3013483.Fmn1zF2PqV

http://www.manveru.net/Speech.pdf

just uploaded it for everyones joy...

Am Dienstag 25 Oktober 2005 12:17 schrieb Patrick Gundlach:
Any chance of a (stipped down?) PDF version? I don't have PP nor
Keynote.

Thanks,

Patrick

--nextPart3013483.Fmn1zF2PqV

--nextPart3013483.Fmn1zF2PqV--

Patrick Gundlach

Hello Edwin,
OpenOffice (2) opens it perfectly (and should be able to convert it
to pd= f)

OK, I was able to see the nice presentation, thanks.

Patrick

Michael Fellinger

--nextPart7802290.NBUmQKH0AW

ok, after converting it to pdf, i thought html would be good as well :)
so you can find the presentation (sorry for the german titles and stuff) at
http://manveru.net/whyrubysucks/
i will translate it maybe later, but navigating shouldn't be that much of a=
=20
problem to anybody.