Ann: XML Schema Evolver

Discussion in 'XML' started by CJ, May 31, 2010.

  1. CJ

    CJ Guest

    What:
    This tool helps create scripts to migrate XML data from one version of
    an XML schema to a later
    version of the same schema. The tool creates these scripts by
    differencing XSD files and emitting
    XSLT 2.0 to automatically migrate XML data.

    Where:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/xsdevolver/

    Background:
    The company I work for sells a shrink-wrapped application where we
    save a workbook in an XML format according to a specified XSD schema.
    Over time, we expect the format of this schema to change. We wanted a
    way to help us diff schema versions as they evolve over time and
    generate initial XSLT to migrate data from older versions of the
    schema to newer versions of the schema.

    Details:

    Usage:

    XMLSchemaEvolver SchemaVersion1.xsd SchemaVersion2.xsd

    Output:

    1. A schema diff showing what elements have been changed

    2. XSLT to translate XML data from SchemaVersion1 to
    SchemaVersion2

    How does it work?

    The basic idea is this:

    1) Do a diff of two xml schema (xsd) files.

    2) Each change is classified as an INSERT, DELETE, MOVE or RENAME
    operation.

    3) For each of these operations, emit simple XSLT to carry out
    the desired data change.

    4) These data change operations are modeled after a set of
    standard XSLT operations suggested by
    Jesper Tverskov in XSLT Transformation Patterns. A full list
    of the transformations emitted by our
    code can be found XSLT Transformations.txt in the
    documentation folder.
    CJ, May 31, 2010