Any *simple* free blog software out there?

Alan Silver

Hello,

I have been looking around for some free ASP.NET 2.0 blog software, but
so far haven't found anything that just implements a basic blog. Most of
the ones I've seen have been fully blown community projects that
includes loads of stuff I don't want. I just want a simple blog to add
to a personal web site. Given the excess baggage with the ones I've
seen, it would take me less time to write my own than to work out how to
install, configure and use these ;-) (I know, I should write my own, but
I don't have time)

Any recommendations? If it comes with source code, then C# would be
preferred. TIA

Alan Silver

"Peter Morris [Droopy said:
"TEXT" is quite popular.

I looked at that, but apart form the fact that none of the "help" "quick
start" etc pages seem to exist anymore, the info said it was no longer
being developed or supported and was superseded by community server.

Thanks anyway

Alan Silver

Winista said:
dasBlog is not a bad choice. you can see it here..
http://www.winista.com/thirdeye

I looked at dasBlog, but couldn't decide about it. Maybe I need to look
again.

Trouble is, sourceforge is a hopeless site IMO. I have never been able
to work out how to get any useful info about projects from it. Strikes
me like a site written by techies, with absolutely no idea of how to
write a user interface!!

Thanks for the reply

Winista

You are right that it is developed by techies. But the architecture allows
to write your own skins.

Alan Silver said:
Winista said:
dasBlog is not a bad choice. you can see it here..
http://www.winista.com/thirdeye

I looked at dasBlog, but couldn't decide about it. Maybe I need to look
again.

Trouble is, sourceforge is a hopeless site IMO. I have never been able to
work out how to get any useful info about projects from it. Strikes me
like a site written by techies, with absolutely no idea of how to write a
user interface!!

Thanks for the reply

Laurent Bugnion

Hi Alan,

I am planning to write a *very* simple blog system for my website, and I
plan to do that as soon as possible (a variable measure of time when you
have two kids). If you want, pass me your requirements (this email
address is valid), and I'll see if I can integrate them.

My idea is: Posting XML messages to a website using FTP, the messages
contain data about date/time, title, messages including HTML code, and a
few special tags that I'll need for this website
http://www.galasoft-lb.ch/pictures

When the ASPX page is called, the most current XML file is parsed and a
corresponding HTML page created. An archive page shows older posts.
These are my requirements for the moment.

Tell me if that would be something for you.

Greetings
Laurent

Alan Silver

Laurent Bugnion said:
Hi Alan,

I am planning to write a *very* simple blog system for my website, and
I plan to do that as soon as possible (a variable measure of time when
you have two kids).

I know what you mean, I have six!!
If you want, pass me your requirements (this email address is valid),
and I'll see if I can integrate them.
<snip>

Well, I took the plunge and downloaded dasBlog. It actually turned out
to be very good. Has everything I wanted, a few things I wasn't bothered
for but was quite happy to have, and none of the unwanted baggage. Had
it up and running very quickly.

That's not to say you shouldn't write your own. If you have the time (ha
ha), then it would be a good project, but I just don't have time.

Thanks anyway.

Alan Silver

Erik Funkenbusch said:
You might be interested in Subtext, it's an offshoot of .Text (like
Community Server is).

http://subtextproject.com/

It's still not .NET 2.0 based, but the next version is supposed to be.

OK, thanks. I'll keep an eye on that one. I have installed dasBlog, and
found it simple and useful, but it's always worth keeping an eye on
other ones.

Ta ra

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Alan said:
I know what you mean, I have six!!

Good luck with that ;-)
Well, I took the plunge and downloaded dasBlog. It actually turned out
to be very good. Has everything I wanted, a few things I wasn't bothered
for but was quite happy to have, and none of the unwanted baggage. Had
it up and running very quickly.

dasBlog looks damn good. I like the ability it has to download email
from an account and use the mails as blog entries.

What database system does it work on? I couldn't find this info in the doc.
That's not to say you shouldn't write your own. If you have the time (ha
ha), then it would be a good project, but I just don't have time.

Thanks anyway.

No problems. I am thinking of it for some time already and as soon as my
other ongoing project (www.galasoft-lb.ch/pictures) is letting me
breathe a little, I'll get to it. I really want to write a very simple
system, without DB, only with XML files.

Most probably I'll blog about that on geekswithblogs.com/lbugnion in
case you want to follow.

Greetings,
Laurent

Alan Silver

Laurent Bugnion said:
dasBlog looks damn good. I like the ability it has to download email
from an account and use the mails as blog entries.

What database system does it work on? I couldn't find this info in the doc.

It doesn't use a database, it uses XML files, so instalation is quick
and easy and it's portable.
No problems. I am thinking of it for some time already and as soon as
my other ongoing project (www.galasoft-lb.ch/pictures) is letting me
breathe a little, I'll get to it. I really want to write a very simple
system, without DB, only with XML files.

dasBlog would be just what you want then.
Most probably I'll blog about that on geekswithblogs.com/lbugnion in
case you want to follow.

Thanks

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Alan said:
It doesn't use a database, it uses XML files, so instalation is quick
and easy and it's portable.

<irony>
Damn, just what I feared. Means that my VerySimpleBlog idea is
deprecated and I won't have to develop it myself.

Too bad I have nothing else to work on in the moment!!
</irony>

Seriously, I like dasBlog more and more. I will make some tests with it
now. It might very well be just what I wanted. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Greetings,
Laurent

Laurent Bugnion