    from the same host seems to work fine.

    Is there something strange going on?

    -- Gerhard

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Sep 3, 2003

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Gerhard Häring" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On my mailserver (running a recent Postfix snapshot) I get this

    since a
    > few hours:
    >
    > mylene:/var# mailq
    > -Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
    > DA10713E37 1617 Wed Sep 3 11:32:46
    > (lost connection with mail.python.org[12.155.117.29] while sending

    end
    > of data -- message may be sent more than once)
    >

    > However, using telnet to send mail to python-list on mail.python.org
    > from the same host seems to work fine.
    >
    > Is there something strange going on?

    Yes, a worldwide virus-induced mail blizzard. Someone (Skip M. I
    think) annouced yesterday or so that the Python mail server was down
    for a breather. Today, someone said it was backed-up, back up, but
    slow. Hence, this arrived at Giganews over a day after you sent it.

    Terry

    Terry Reedy, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Terry> Yes, a worldwide virus-induced mail blizzard.

    This has been my biggest gripe about the damn virus. The virus itself was
    no problem for me since I don't use Windows, but the thousands of "you have
    a virus!" mails sent in response clogged my inbox until I trained SpamBayes
    to view them as spam. Is there any reasonable way to get the anti-virus
    vendors to realize they are a very large part of the problem? Shouldn't
    virus scanners simply eat the virus and not send another mail? Does anyone
    have a list of a-v vendors' email addresses so I can harangue them a bit on
    the topic?

    Thx,

    Skip

    Skip Montanaro, Sep 5, 2003
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Skip Montanaro" <> wrote in message

    > Terry> Yes, a worldwide virus-induced mail blizzard.
    >
    > This has been my biggest gripe about the damn virus. The virus

    itself was
    > no problem for me since I don't use Windows, but the thousands of

    "you have
    > a virus!" mails sent in response clogged my inbox until I trained

    SpamBayes
    > to view them as spam. Is there any reasonable way to get the

    anti-virus
    > vendors to realize they are a very large part of the problem?

    Shouldn't
    > virus scanners simply eat the virus and not send another mail? Does

    anyone
    > have a list of a-v vendors' email addresses so I can harangue them a

    bit on
    > the topic?

    How about sending them 'virus' mail with their own addresses as the
    faked return, so they can spam themselves and each other?

    Terry ;-)

    Terry Reedy, Sep 6, 2003