Anybody help me on this: System.InvalidCastException

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by DOTNET, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. DOTNET

    DOTNET Guest

    Hi,

    Anybody help me regarding this error:

    I am assigning the values to the session variables when the button is
    clicked and passing these session variables to the next page and when I am
    printing these session variables they are printing. After that I am
    assigning these things in hidden object and in the form submit action I am
    receiving these hidden values like the following:

    dim Recname = Request("Recname")
    dim Contactname = Request("Contactname")
    dim CompAddress = Request("Compaddress")
    dim city = Request("City")
    dim ZipCode = Request("Zipcode")
    dim Country = Request("Country")
    dim TelePhone = Request("Telephone")
    dim Mobile = Request("Mobile")
    dim Email = Request("Emailid")
    dim Companysite = Request("Companysite")
    dim Sector = Request("Sector")
    dim Functional = Request("Functional")
    dim Yroperation = Request("Yroperation")
    dim Officeloc = Request("Officeloc")
    dim Usesite = Request("Usesite")
    dim Billaddress = Request("Billaddress")
    dim Billcity = Request("Billcity")
    dim Billzip = Request("Billzip")
    dim Billctr = Request("Billcountry")
    dim Resumeflag = Request("Resumeflag")
    dim Resumeemail = Request("Resumeemail")
    dim Resumereg = "NO"
    dim Recapprove = "YES"

    Here also I succeeded when I am printing these declared variables with
    assigned values. But when I am trying to insert these vales into the table
    created in MS-Access like the following it is producing the given error:

    sSQL = "INSERT INTO RECRUITERS
    (Recname,Contname,Recaddress,Reccity,ReczipCode,Reccountry,RecTelephone,Recmobile,Recemail,Recsite,Recsector,Recfunctional,Recyroper,Recusesite,Recbilladdress,Recbillcity,Recbillzip,Recbillcountry,Recresumeflag,Recresumemail,Regdate,Recofficelocations,Recapprove,Recapproveres)
    values
    (@Rname,@Contname,@Raddress,@Rcity,@Rzip,@Rcountry,@Rphone,@Rmobile,@Remail,@Rsite,@Rsector,@Rfunction,@Ryear,@Rusite,@Rbilladd,@Rbillcty,@Rbillzip,@Rbillctr,@Rflag,@RRemail,@RRegdate,@Roffice,@Rapprove,@RRapprove)"

    oComm = New OleDbCommand(sSQL, oConn)
    oComm.Commandtype = CommandType.Text

    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rname", UCASE(Recname)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Contname", UCASE(Contactname)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Raddress", UCASE(Compaddress)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@RCity", UCASE(City)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rzip", Zipcode))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rcountry", UCASE(Country)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rphone", UCASE(Telephone)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rmobile", UCASE(Mobile)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Remail", UCASE(Email)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rsite", UCASE(Companysite)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rsector", UCASE(Sector)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rfunction", UCASE(Functional)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Ryear", Yroperation))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rusite", UCASE(Usesite)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rbilladd", UCASE(Billaddress)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rbillcty", UCASE(Billcity)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rbillzip", UCASE(Billzip)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rbillctr", UCASE(Billctr)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rflag", UCASE(Resumeflag)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@RRemail", Resumeemail))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@RRegdate", now()))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Roffice", UCASE(Officeloc)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@Rapprove", UCASE(Recapprove)))
    oComm.Parameters.Add(New OleDbParameter("@RRapprove", UCASE(Resumereg)))

    oComm.ExecuteNonQuery()

    System.InvalidCastException

    Line 65:
    Line 66:
    Line 67: oComm.ExecuteNonQuery()
    Line 68:
    Line 69:
    Source File: recruiter\Recok.aspx Line: 67

    Stack Trace:

    [InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.]
    System.Data.OleDb.DBBindings.set_Value(Object value) +1886
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.GetInputParameters() +100
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult)
    +22
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior,
    Object& executeResult) +65
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior
    behavior, String method) +112
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +66

    [TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
    invocation.]
    System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.InternalInvoke(Object obj,
    BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo
    culture, Boolean isBinderDefault, Assembly caller, Boolean verifyAccess) +0
    System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.InternalInvoke(Object obj,
    BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo
    culture, Boolean verifyAccess) +425
    System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags
    invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +23
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.FastCall(Object o,
    MethodBase method, ParameterInfo[] Parameters, Object[] args, Type objType,
    IReflect objIReflect) +247
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateCall(Object
    o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[]
    CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn) +435

    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.LateCall(Object o,
    Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[]
    CopyBack) +23
    ASP.Recok_aspx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __output, Control
    parameterContainer) in
    c:\websites\managersp65\managersp.com\newinaspx\recruiter\Recok.aspx:67
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +27
    System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7
    System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +243

    I am not using any codebehinds but passing the session variables from a
    procedure which is called at the time of button press event is fired.
    Please help me to solve this problem.

    DOTNET, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Hey Buddy,

    You are trying insert a record with some improper casting, I guess. When
    yoiu are printing or displaying you mightn't 've done any casting.

    Try running your app after removing the the UCASE coversion for some of the
    vairables like
    Billzip, Mobile etc.

    If you still get same error...then you need to add parameters one by one to
    the query and you have to find, which variable is causing this error.

    Cheers,

    Jerome. M

    =?Utf-8?B?RG90TmV0SmVyb21l?=, Feb 24, 2005

  3. Turn Option Strict ON. Once you have fixed up all the errors that this
    causes in the compiler with your code as it now stands, it should work fine.

    This is one of the areas of VB that I have always hated. VB6 and before used
    variants and late-binding instead of "real" variables. As a result, we have
    an entire class of programmers who don't even know what a data type is.
    VB.Net has to work with real data types, but it allows (and in VS.Net 2003
    and earlier by default) you to turn Option Strict OFF and use Late-Binding.
    And here is the fruit of it.

    Data is stored in memory. When a program has to store data in memory, how
    does it know how much memory to allocate to the data? By the data type. An
    Integer (Int32) is a 32-bit (4 byte) storage space. A string is the size of
    the number of characters in the string, multiplied by 2 if it's Unicode, in
    bytes. An array is the size of each element in the array multiplied by the
    number of bytes in each element.

    The data type also indicates to the program how the data should be treated.
    Under the covers, it's all bits and bytes, 1s and 0s. But you don't treat a
    string like a number. A Unicode character is actually a 2-byte number, but
    it is treated like a character, and a string is an array of Unicode
    characters. So, the string "foo" is actually a 6-byte array (or a
    3-character array) of Unicode characters.

    Okay, so how does this all relate to your issue (I bet you were wondering
    when and if I would get to that!)?

    Well, let's start from the beginning. First, you assign the values of a form
    post operation to a bunch of variables, which are, at this point, of type
    Object. You use the Request class, so these values from the Request are all
    strings. Why? Because a Request is a text document that is sent from the
    browser to the server. Everything in it is text.

    Now you have a bunch of variables of type Object storing a bunch of strings.
    So far so good. At this point I might mention that Object is NOT the same as
    Variant. Object is a class, the base class for all .Net classes. As such, it
    is possible to store any type of data in a variable of type Object
    (everything in .Net IS an object, more or less). Think of it like this:
    Every man is a human. Every woman is a human. But every man is NOT a woman.

    Okay, now you want to plug these into your query. And that's where the rub
    lies. You're assigning strings to EVERY field in your table. And I would
    strongly suspect that they are not all text columns. For example, I would
    suspect that the YES and NO values are going into an Access Yes/No column,
    which is a Boolean data type (a 1-bit number, either 1 or 0, true or false).
    Suddenly, the database is expecting a Boolean value, and you're passing a
    string. Hence, InvalidCastException.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Neither a follower nor a lender be.

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 24, 2005
  4. Could it be:

    When you passing "YES"/"NO" as a parameters for fields RRapprove,Rapprove
    they don't get converted to "1"/"0"
    ("1"/"0" - considered by sql as binary and "YES"/"NO"/"TRUE"/"FALSE" are not)

    =?Utf-8?B?Tm90SGVscGZ1bA==?=, Mar 1, 2005
  5. You can pass true/false into a parameter as long as you give its datatype as
    SqlDbType.Bit.

    SqlParameter p = new SqlParameter( "@RRaprove", SqlDbType.Bit );
    p.Value = true;
    myCommand.Parameters.Add( p )

    It will do the necessary 1/0 conversion for you.

    HTH,

    bill

    William F. Robertson, Jr., Mar 1, 2005