Anyone doing ASP.NET on your mac?

VB Programmer

I am an ASP.NET (VB.NET) web developer, using MS Visual Studio.

I'm thinking of switching over to MAC.

I was wondering if anyone is using Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 beta in a XP
or Vista environment on their Mac?

If so, any wierd issues, or does it run smoothly (even with Mac OS running)?
Also, is it really a TRUE Windows environment?

Thanks!

Mark Rae [MVP]

I am an ASP.NET (VB.NET) web developer, using MS Visual Studio.

I'm thinking of switching over to MAC.

Any particular reason...?
I was wondering if anyone is using Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 beta in a XP
or Vista environment on their Mac?

Do you mean with the Mac version of VirtualPC, Parallels or BootCamp...?

VB Programmer

I already have a PC and since Mac can run Vista & XP I thought I'd give it a
try. My research so far has shown good things about Mac too. :)

I mean with any version, BootCamp or Parallels especially.

Thanks

bruce barker

i do. I run vista, vs2005 and sql2005 in a vm. the vm's on the mac allow
you to run windows apps in their own window and dock, or in the vm
window. the performance is good.

most of the issues are vista and its support of visual studio, if you
run winxp, its simpler, but you don't get the iis 7.0

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

VB Programmer

Thanks for the very informative response Bruce!

VM is "Parallels Desktop", right? (Sorry. I'm new to the mac world.)

So, running XP or Vista in these enviro's are basically equivalent to
running it on a normal PC, right (with the exception of it possibly being
slower)?

Thanks

Mark Rae [MVP]

(top-posting corrected)
I already have a PC and since Mac can run Vista & XP I thought I'd give it
a try.

A Mac can run Windows and Vista through virtualisation - if you already have
a PC, there is *absolutely no advantage* in doing this...
My research so far has shown good things about Mac too. :)

Like what...?
I mean with any version, BootCamp or Parallels especially.

As with all software virtualisation products (VirtualPC, VMWare, Parallels,
Wine etc), the operating system running within the virtual machine generally
has no idea that it's running in a virtual machine, because it doesn't need
to...

But, virtualisation still needs a host machine to run on, and will grab as
much of the host's resources (CPU, memory, hard disk etc) as it can, or has
been allowed...

If you just fancy giving a Mac a try, I'd strongly suggest you get a Mac
Mini and a KVM:
http://www.apple.com/macmini/
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=262660

VB Programmer

Great information. Thanks Mark!

Mark Rae said:
(top-posting corrected)

A Mac can run Windows and Vista through virtualisation - if you already
have a PC, there is *absolutely no advantage* in doing this...

Like what...?

As with all software virtualisation products (VirtualPC, VMWare,
Parallels, Wine etc), the operating system running within the virtual
machine generally has no idea that it's running in a virtual machine,
because it doesn't need to...

But, virtualisation still needs a host machine to run on, and will grab as
much of the host's resources (CPU, memory, hard disk etc) as it can, or
has been allowed...

If you just fancy giving a Mac a try, I'd strongly suggest you get a Mac
Mini and a KVM:
http://www.apple.com/macmini/
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=262660

bruce barker

yes, i use parallels, though vmware looks good also. the main slow up is
the video driver (no aero support yet), though both are improving, and
there is some 3d support for games (which i don't do).

i happy enough with it that I plan on replacing my other dev box with a
mac. I find I'm only using the vm for dev, and its nice to have a unix
dev environment also.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

VB Programmer

It's too bad there isn't support for VS.NET on Mac directly.

Do you know if Mac has any great HTML/web tools?