Anyone using Perl to develop and deploy MS Windows apps?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Stefan Fischerländer, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. I'm looking for some experiences or even some guidance ...

    There are some freeware tools I provide on my homepage, which are
    written in Visual Basic. For a couple of reasons I want to get rid of
    VB and want to switch to another language.

    Because I'm rather experienced with Perl, this would be an obvious
    choice. But there is one problem: the deployment of my Perl apps. My
    users are no tech gurus, just average computer users. This means the
    programs have to be deployed as self-installing single .exe files. (To
    tell them to install ActiveState Perl for Windows distribution is no
    option!)

    After some googling, I found several tools which together seem to form
    a complete development environment to build (simple) Windows
    applications:

    Perl "Compilers":
    http://tinyperl.sourceforge.net/
    http://search.cpan.org/author/AUTRIJUS/PAR-0.69/
    http://www.indigostar.com/perl2exe.htm

    "GUI Builder" for Win32::GUI:
    http://www.bahnhof.se/~johanl/perl/Loft/

    Installation Program:
    http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis/

    Does anyone here has any experiences with what I intend to do?
    Is Perl with any of the perl-to-exe "compilers" a reasonable solution
    to create and deploy Windows applications?

    Stefan

    Stefan Fischerländer, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Hi,
    "Stefan Fischerländer" <>
    > Because I'm rather experienced with Perl, this would be an obvious
    > choice. But there is one problem: the deployment of my Perl apps. My
    > users are no tech gurus, just average computer users. This means the
    > programs have to be deployed as self-installing single .exe files. (To
    > tell them to install ActiveState Perl for Windows distribution is no
    > option!)

    I did exactly the same, I also wanted to translate a few VB apps.

    What I can highly recommend is Activestate's Perl Dev Kit 5.
    It's not free, but there's an eval version. (don't distribute anything built
    with it though, as they will also expire)
    From the readme: 'you can create standalone ActiveX components, Windows
    services, self-contained Windows applications, and .NET compliant objects
    and applications'.

    You build your app in perl, using win32::gui if you need a gui (or TK), and
    then use the dev-kit to compile it into an exe.
    It includes all modules and 'require' files within the exe, as well as the
    perl interpreter. The end-user just needs to click on your exe to run the
    program, no installing or dependancies.
    If you want you can also make system-tray programs the same way (with or
    without GUI).
    In all cases the shell window can be completely hidden.
    There's also a visual debugger included.
    I found most programs end up around 6 to 700k, which is reasonable, given
    that everything that's needed is in there.

    I can mail you a program offlist if you'd like to test the look & feel.

    Richard.

    Richard Bennett, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Stefan Fischerländer wrote:

    > I'm looking for some experiences or even some guidance ...
    >
    > There are some freeware tools I provide on my homepage, which are
    > written in Visual Basic. For a couple of reasons I want to get rid of
    > VB and want to switch to another language.
    >
    > Because I'm rather experienced with Perl, this would be an obvious
    > choice. But there is one problem: the deployment of my Perl apps. My
    > users are no tech gurus, just average computer users. This means the
    > programs have to be deployed as self-installing single .exe files. (To
    > tell them to install ActiveState Perl for Windows distribution is no
    > option!)

    If you already know BASIC then you may want to have a look at
    PowerBASIC.
    http://www.powerbasic.com/

    John
    --
    use Perl;
    program

    John W. Krahn, Jul 22, 2003
  4. "Stefan Fischerländer" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for some experiences or even some guidance ...

    <snip>
    > Perl "Compilers":
    > http://tinyperl.sourceforge.net/
    > http://search.cpan.org/author/AUTRIJUS/PAR-0.69/
    > http://www.indigostar.com/perl2exe.htm

    <snip>
    > Does anyone here has any experiences with what I intend to do?
    > Is Perl with any of the perl-to-exe "compilers" a reasonable solution
    > to create and deploy Windows applications?

    TinyPerl works fine for me. With TinyPerl, it is possible to fit a TinyWeb
    webserver and a TinyPerl executable file (with the required directories and
    support files, as well as Shortcuts for launching programs), together with a
    fillable Adobe Acrobat PDF form, all on a single 3.5 inch floppy. This has
    also been done, with all of the files on a CompactFlash memory card.

    I expect this could also be done with USB-type CompactFlash devices. It
    should also be doable with CD-ROM (provided you put the tmp files and logs
    on the host computer).

    With bootable media, you should be able to set up a system that requires no
    user installation at all.

    Cheers.

    Bill Segraves

    William Alexander Segraves, Jul 22, 2003