Printing to a Windows printer.

David

I am trying to improve a label printing program that I wrote in perl.
I want to use a Laser Printer instead of the current dot matrix and I
would like to include some Fonts and graphics in the output.
Portability isn't an issue right now and I really don't want to have
to install Ghostscript.
I have looked on the Activestate Website but couldn't find anything
that pointed to how to use a windows printer as anything but a char
device.
I have also gone to CPAN and found a modual that looks like it would
do EXACTLY what I would like to do.
http://search.cpan.org/~wasx/Win32-Printer-0.9.0/Printer.pm
But when I go to the home page that is supposed to have that module I
get a page of ads. It looks like it has been abandoned.
So any help would be great.
Thanks

A. Sinan Unur

David said:
I am trying to improve a label printing program that I wrote in perl.
I want to use a Laser Printer instead of the current dot matrix and I
would like to include some Fonts and graphics in the output.
Portability isn't an issue right now and I really don't want to have
to install Ghostscript.
OK.

I have also gone to CPAN and found a modual that looks like it would
do EXACTLY what I would like to do.
http://search.cpan.org/~wasx/Win32-Printer-0.9.0/Printer.pm
But when I go to the home page that is supposed to have that module I
get a page of ads. It looks like it has been abandoned.

What is your question?

I installed the module as described in

http://search.cpan.org/~wasx/Win32-Printer-0.9.0/Printer.pm#Source_installation

Then I ran the test program (after changing the paper size to LETTER)
in

http://search.cpan.org/~wasx/Win32-Printer-0.9.0/Printer.pm#SYNOPSIS

and I got a nice colorful print-out.

So, do you have a specific question?

Sinan

w.c.humann

So, do you have a specific question?

Sinan

I agree that David has not phrased his problem too exactly, but it's
not really hard to figure out: The (dead) link he's talking about
points to a compiled ppd-package. By guiding him to the "source
installation"-section you silently assumne that everyone has VC++
installed -- which is not the case. ActiveState does not offer a
compiled package and packages compiled with gcc etc. often do not
cooperate well with ActiveState Perl.

Hint for David: go to http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/dist/Win32-Printer.
They list additional win32 repositories -- including one for
Win32::printer

Wolfram

David

I agree that David has not phrased his problem too exactly, but it's
not really hard to figure out: The (dead) link he's talking about
points to a compiled ppd-package. By guiding him to the "source
installation"-section you silently assumne that everyone has VC++
installed -- which is not the case. ActiveState does not offer a
compiled package and packages compiled with gcc etc. often do not
cooperate well with ActiveState Perl.

Hint for David: go tohttp://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/dist/Win32-Printer.
They list additional win32 repositories -- including one for
Win32::printer

Wolfram

Thanks I should have mentioned that I didn't have VCC installed.
Thanks for the link to the other repositories.