Anyway to Kill virus email on my Host Mailbox automatically?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Dennis@NoSpam.com, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Guest

    In the last two days I've been unindated with 100+ virus .pif and .scr
    attachment emails from forged return addresses.

    The real address from the headers is SANJIVSA (dt140n11.tampabay.rr.com
    [24.92.192.17]) for all the virus emails.

    I emailed over ten times with copies and headers of the virus email
    but to no avail. They just ignore.

    I would like to install a perl program on the Unix host computer that would
    search the headers of all incoming emails that are put into my mail box and
    delete the email with selected headers that I choose.

    My Host computer is a Unix box and I have access to the mail client. How would
    I go about installing a perl program to do the above?

    TIA for any help or direction you can give me.

    Dennis

    , Aug 21, 2003

  2. On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:40:44 -0500
    wrote:
    > In the last two days I've been unindated with 100+ virus .pif and
    > .scr attachment emails from forged return addresses.

    So have a lot of places.

    > The real address from the headers is SANJIVSA
    > (dt140n11.tampabay.rr.com[24.92.192.17]) for all the virus emails.
    >
    > I emailed over ten times with copies and headers of the
    > virus email but to no avail. They just ignore.

    Probably trying to deal with the influx of "junk" out there within the
    last two weeks - give it time :)

    > I would like to install a perl program on the Unix host computer
    > that would search the headers of all incoming emails that are put
    > into my mail box and delete the email with selected headers that I
    > choose.
    >
    > My Host computer is a Unix box and I have access to the mail client.
    > How would
    > I go about installing a perl program to do the above?
    >
    > TIA for any help or direction you can give me.

    My suggestion is to install spamassassin. Do NOT just blindly add the
    domain to your blacklist. Depending on what's in the header and/or
    body of the message, you may not need to go that far. Read the
    directions for installing spammassassin. And if you need further
    direction, they have a mailing list and FAQ you can look over.

    The URL is:
    http://spamassassin.rediris.es/index.html

    HTH

    Jim

    James Willmore, Aug 21, 2003

  3. On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:40:44 -0500, <> wrote:
    > In the last two days I've been unindated with 100+ virus .pif and .scr
    > attachment emails from forged return addresses.
    >
    > The real address from the headers is SANJIVSA (dt140n11.tampabay.rr.com
    > [24.92.192.17]) for all the virus emails.
    >
    > I emailed over ten times with copies and headers of the virus email
    > but to no avail. They just ignore.
    >
    > I would like to install a perl program on the Unix host computer that would
    > search the headers of all incoming emails that are put into my mail box and
    > delete the email with selected headers that I choose.
    >
    > My Host computer is a Unix box and I have access to the mail client. How would
    > I go about installing a perl program to do the above?

    So configure procmail recipes (see 'man procmail' and 'man procmailex').
    The following .procmairc recipes get rid of a bunch of worms.

    :0
    * ^Content-Transfer-Encoding:.*base64
    * name=.*\.(bat|exe|pif|scr|vbs)
    $TRASH