Apache commons net 1.4.1 FTPClient reliability

Christopher Benson-Manica

The project I am working on happens to require a third-party FTP
client component, and the Apache Commons FTPClient seems to be the
only reasonable choice (at least the only reasonable *free* choice).
However, http://www.sjhannah.com/blog/?p=21 and
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/orbit-dev/msg00465.html, among
other sources, seem to suggest that FTPClient is prone to deadlocks
when used in a multithreaded environment, which is the case for this
project. My questions:

1) In your experience, how reliable has the official 1.4.1 release
been in a multithreaded environment - i.e., given "ordinary" usage,
how often did deadlocks occur, if at all?

2) The Eclipse reference above points to two patches to the 1.4.1
source which are claimed to address the issues, but have yet to be
incorporated into an official release (and may never be). Has anyone
who found the unpatched 1.4.1 release to be unsuitable tried the
patches? If so, what were the results?