Applet not found by IE6 under XP (ClassDefNotFound)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jim, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I have a peculiar case where an applet failes to load - Internet Explorer
    6.0 can't seem to find my applet when it's run under XP
    I've wandered around the newsgroups and Microsoft's support site but found
    nothing definitive.

    Has anyone else seen this problem? I really need a solution as I need to
    deploy this web site soon in an environment where
    may machine are being upgraded to XP

    Here's some more facts:
    IE6/XP combination fails on multiple machines.
    IE6 can find the applet can under win2k
    Netscape works fine
    If turn on Java logging in the internet options, the log shows a
    ClassDefNotFound error whenever a page with the applet is loaded.
    On a Java development machine, IE6/XP works find BUT if (in IE6) I go to
    tools/internet options/advanced and UNcheck the
    'use Java 2 v1.41...' options, the applet fails to load.
    Disabling the JIT compiler makes no difference.
    I can't see anything obvious in the security settings (but I'm pretty
    ignorant here)
    Have not tried earlier IE versions.
    SP1 is installed for IE6 (version: 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920; Update
    Versions: SP1;Q819847;Q813951)

    I did find one item on Microsoft's site (knowledge base article 177754) that
    said the Microsoft virtual machine
    would some times exhibit this behavior in version 4.79.2252 but was fixed in
    version 4.79.2334 and later. However, this
    article is said to apply to IE4.0

    I could not find a way to down load a late version of the VM. All I could
    find was information on how to 'transition away'
    from the Microsoft VM.

    Is there a way for a web page to query the browser about what VM it's using?
    Is there a 'classpath' of any sort the browser uses or is it all up the the
    webserver (which is Tomcat)?

    I sure would appreciate any advice or pointers.

    Jim, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Jim

    Ike Guest

    Take a look at :

    http://www.technalink.com/vdist/common/trouble1.htm

    Also, go into the XP Control panel, open java plugin - browswers tab - make
    sure MS IE is checked -Ike

    Ike, Jan 15, 2004

  3. "Jim" <> wrote in message
    | On a Java development machine, IE6/XP works find BUT if (in
    IE6) I go to
    | tools/internet options/advanced and UNcheck the
    | 'use Java 2 v1.41...' options, the applet fails to load.

    You've given us a great deal of information
    Jim, but missed two _very_ imortant things.
    1) The _source_
    2) An URL

    I am almost certain I know what the trouble
    is, but I am not wading through your post
    trying to guess.. Provide the two things above
    and I'l have a look.

    [ BTW - Sounds like a JVM version problem ->
    http://www.physci.org/test/JRE/ ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Jim

    martinwells Guest

    There's a much simpler reason for seeing this.

    The MSJVM byte code format is old so it's unable to read the updated versions being produced by modern JavaC versions. Since the JVM is unable to load the class (it thinks it's corrupt) it gives the rather misleading ClassDefNotFound exception.

    Recompile your classes using the 1.1 byte code format and it'll work fine (javac has an option for this).

    martinwells, Feb 15, 2004
  5. martinwells wrote:
    > There's a much simpler reason for seeing this.

    What? My news reader has dropped the
    thread, so it might be nice to provide a
    context for your comment.

    > The MSJVM byte code format is old so it's unable to read the updated
    > versions being produced by modern JavaC versions. Since the JVM is
    > unable to load the class (it thinks it's corrupt) it gives the rather
    > misleading ClassDefNotFound exception.
    >
    > Recompile your classes using the 1.1 byte code format and it'll work
    > fine (javac has an option for this).

    It will not do you any good unless
    you exclude all classes that are
    post 1.1.

    Either that or the obsolete, decrepit,
    broken, security flawed MS 1.1 VM
    will still not run the applet.

    Replace that piece of junk with a modern
    Sun Java Plug-In and be done with it.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Feb 15, 2004