ASCX compile tool

Bogdan Nedelcu

I've done some research on the net and found a tool to precompile the ASCX
code. (CodeProject http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/ascxparser.asp)

I wonder why the guys from ASP.NET do not provide a standard mechanism for
performing this task. I searched through the source code of ASP.NET and saw
the whole mechanism of precompilation. If only I could get one single dll as
opposed to THOUSANDS of files I have in temporary internet files.

The one file per ascx/aspx is really a problem when you have applications
with tons of pages. I read Janson Zander's article about why not a linker
(http://weblogs.asp.net/jasonz/archive/2004/01/31/65653.aspx) but none of
the reasons he wrote there would apply in the case of the IIS.

I know theres something in the 2.0 ASP.NET but the code is right here, in
the current dlls, so why can't we use them ?

Any official point of view ?

Karl Seguin

Bogdan:
You aren't likely going to get an "official point of view" here. I imagine
it's one of those features which simply didn't make it in 1.0/1.1 but that
they found time to do in 2.0. Overall I think they do a pretty good job of
prioritizing their features, and while I might be slightly tempted to agree
with you that the compilation model should have been a little beefed up, I
can't help but wonder what other functionality might have paid the price
instead.

You could always move your ASCX files to server-controls in which case they
would all pre-compile ito a single DLL...I personally find server-controls a
little on the hard side but hey..atleast it's an option :)

Karl

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You will find a site walker/precompile .axd file in the 2.0 Framework.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SD, SE, DBA

Think outside the box!