ASCX Deployment Question

ChrisB

Hi - I'm just trying to figure out what would be involved with
deploying a simple HTML update to an ASCX file.

Where there were no changes to the code behind (compiled code), to
deploy this to another environment, would we need to do a full
deployment of everything in the web project or can we just copy the
single ascx file changed?

I know it's possible to do this with aspx files (we did this
occasionally for one-off critical production fixes where I worked
before), but can this be done with individual ascx control files?

We did a quick POC test of this (just copying the ASCX file) today and
it did not appear to work - even after we tried doing an IIS Reset and
refreshing the user's IE cache. The "old" ASCX file still appeared to
be loaded.

Is it possible that the ASCX file is actually bound inside of the DLL
assembly for the web solution or are we just missing something obvious?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

ChrisB

Thanks Karl.

Yes, I do believe that output caching is enabled for this in the base
control that this control inherits from within its code behind.

However, assuming that this is not compiled into the DLL and is
stand-alone for an xcopy type deployment, then when we did an IISReset
after copying the new version of the ASCX file to the server, wouldn't
that have flushed out the cache, if it was cached, and then served up
the new version of the control/file on subsequent requests?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

It should be ok to just copy the ASCX, assuming you only made minor
formatting changes and didn't add or remove any controls, which might
confuse the old code behind.