ASP and ASP.NET in the same environment

hardieca

Hi,

I am wondering if there would be any issues with having both ASP
classic and ASP.NET pages residing in the same environment. There is
currently discussion where I work about migrating a large ASP site
over to ASP.NET, and there is debate over whether or not to do it
piecemeal.

If we mix the two technologies, would there be any gotchas I should be
aware of?

Regards,

Chris

Larry Bud

Hi,

I am wondering if there would be any issues with having both ASP
classic and ASP.NET pages residing in the same environment. There is
currently discussion where I work about migrating a large ASP site
over to ASP.NET, and there is debate over whether or not to do it
piecemeal.

If we mix the two technologies, would there be any gotchas I should be
aware of?

What do you mean by the same environment? Just on the same web
server, or are you planning on mixing .net and classic pages in the
same app?

If it's just on the same web server, you're fine. If you plan on
mixing pages in the same app, it's frought with problems (such as not
sharing session info).

Phil H

Hi,

I am wondering if there would be any issues with having both ASP
classic and ASP.NET pages residing in the same environment. There is
currently discussion where I work about migrating a large ASP site
over to ASP.NET, and there is debate over whether or not to do it
piecemeal.

If we mix the two technologies, would there be any gotchas I should be
aware of?

Regards,

Chris

There is the issue regarding hyperlink address changes, have you
thought of that? I'm thinking in particular of internal links between
pages. All the new ones will be .aspx while the old ones are .asp, so
any links in the old pages that point to a modified version will have
to be ammended. Similarly, any new pages pointing to old ones will
have to be ammended as the target pages are upgraded.

The effort required to maintain integrity during the transitional
phase may make the piecemeal approach too difficult or a waste of
time.

HTH