    hasn't turned anything up. My preference is to give PHB the middle finger..
    but alas.. the paycheck is keeping me from doing that.

    Thanks!
    Bryan Harrington, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Are you sure that this isn't just a setting in Excel for that person? Like:
    Tools--Options--Transition--Save Excel files as:

    Also, how are you returning the Excel file from your server? With a
    response.contenttype="application/vnd.ms-excel"?

    Ray at work

    "Bryan Harrington" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all.. I'm working on some reports, and have added the ability to
    > "download" the reports to excel. Not a big deal, fairly straight forward.
    > However, PHB wants to be able to create some pivot tables from said

    reports
    > (again.. no biggie) and when he goes to save the file, Excel wants to save
    > the file as a web page instead of and Excel spreadsheet.
    >
    > Now.. I know the simple thing here is to just pick Excel from the drop

    down
    > box in the save as dialog.. but.. PHB would "prefer" to not have to do

    that.

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Mar 31, 2005

  3. Thanks for your response Ray.. Yes.. I'm adding the response.contenttype to
    the header.. all that works great.

    And no, it's not a setting in Excel as far as I can tell.. When I return
    the excel file from ASP and save it, I can open it in notepad, and it's a
    bunch of <td>data</td>'s... if I do a save as over to excel, then when you
    open it in notepad you get to see all the fun ascii stuff.

    PHB doesn't want to have to make that "extra" click to the drop down box to
    specify save as excel. I don't think it can be done, but there are lots and
    lots of smart people out there working for lots and lots of PHB's.

    message news:...

    Bryan Harrington, Mar 31, 2005