ASP.Net 2.0 deployment problem

JimCinLA

Have deployed ASP.Net 2.0 before, but I have a new problem.

The server where I'm trying to deploy, which is a private network on a
local
government's IT department, has a file called web.config in its IIS
directory which is used
by other applications.

My ASP.Net 2.0 project (with C# as the code-behind, for what it's
worth) of course
also has a Web.config. It appears that some of the settings in the
IIS version of Web config are override my own Web site's Web.config.

Does anyone know how to configure a project so that it reads only the
local
Web.config, the one that "belongs" to the project, and ignores other
files
with the same name? I suppose that's a setting in the IIS Manager that
I've
overlooked, but I just can't seem to locate it.

What I wind up getting is an error when I try to navigate to my project
with a
familiar error: "... It is an error to use a section registered as [
]
beyond machine.config." And it refers to a file called
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config.
My own web.config is in the root directory of my project whose virtual
directory
is set for c:\inetpub\wwwroot\[project root directory].

Jim

Mark Fitzpatrick

You have to mark the directory that it's in as an application. You do this
through the IIS MMC by selecting the directory name in IIS, opening the
properties dialog, and on the directory tab (or terhabouts) there should be
an option to make it an application. If it's not marked an application, then
IIS assumes that it is part of an application and will use the web.config
that's at the root app level.

Guest

Jim,

I recently had this issue and also could not find a solution.
I ended up placing my .net 2.0 application under the root of a new virtual
Server on the same box.

I couldn't find a setting to keep the root's .net 1.1 web.config from
interfering with my .net 2.0 web application. I only looked for a couple
hours tho....