asp.net 2.0 membership provider and manager- Cont.

TdarTdar

Hi [MFST],
I was thinking as you know I cannot seem to get the .NET Web Site
Administration Tool work right, probally something i did. But anyways, It
does work with my visual studio on my non deployed app.

Now I have noticed that when I deploy the app I am having to recreate my
user account because the appID (i think that is what the field name is called
not able to look it up atm) was changed so my users was not authorized for
that application, But if I could sync the appid key with the non deployed app
and the deployed app then when the login stuff connected to the sql server
hosted user tables it would not know the differance.
I could use my same login account for both and i could manage the roles for
both without having to have NET Web Site Administration Tool at all..

Thoughts? Howtos?

Tdar

[MSFT]

Hello Tdar,

By default, an ASP.NET application will use a database file "ASPNETDB.MDF"
in the folder "app_data" to save information about roles and users. (You
may attach this file in SQL Server 2005 to see its details). For example,
there are two tables in the database: "aspnet_Applications" and
"aspnet_Users". Table "aspnet_Applications" contains the "ApplicationName"
and "ApplicationID"; Table "aspnet_Users" contains "ApplicationID" and
user information.

To deploy an ASP.NET 2.0 project, you can deply the database together so
that you don't need to create users and roles again,

Hope this help,

Luke

TdarTdar

Is there no other way of doing this I have the tables in a custom database..

Because this is not a project that would be deployed to many places, it is
going to be an ongoing work in progress as part of a companies internal IS
system.

[MSFT]

Are there mutilple applications' data in your custom database? If not, you
may export the data from your custom database to an "ASPNETDB.MDF" and
deploy with your application. If the databases were "mixed" in your custom
database, you have to divide them by applicationid.

Luke

TdarTdar

Well maybe in the future you could make a dev only web.config that you can
set an app id to be the same as the live one. etc. There probally could be
more uses for a dev.web.config file also...

THanks for your help.

[MSFT]

Hello,

We don't need to set applicationid in web.config. It is just a column in
database. You can open the table "aspnet_Applications", and you will see
applicationid is somewhat like an "alias" of your web application's path.
So that we can use a DEV database file in live web site.

Luke