asp.net 2.0 memerbership provider/management

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by TdarTdar, Nov 5, 2005.

  1. TdarTdar

    TdarTdar Guest

    HI,
    I have a couple of questions?

    1. how can I manage the NEW asp.net 2 users and roles on my windows 2k system?
    (Right now if i go into site administration i gives me that old front page
    server extensions 2002 site administration for users and roles and it does
    not find users created with the regsiter user control so i can change them
    into the proper role. If i use the web server that is in visual studio on an
    unpublished site i can use the asp.net configuration tool in the website
    dropdown. When I connect to the publish site it does not show up and i cannot
    configure it from My visual studio 2005(release)

    I thought... it have something to do with this windows 2000 authorization
    manager runtime, but i cannot get that working. ie too complicated for me i
    guess. :(

    I need help to get this working, I love the new login controls and want to
    use them badly and i hope that i am not limited due to being on windows 2k
    for the internal systems. )

    2. I am using my own database and ran the tool to setup the membership
    tables in this, did something change with the release version since the beta
    because now i just get errors like " Procedure or function
    aspnet_Membership_GetPasswordWithFormat has too many arguments specified."?

    (I am going to delete and recreate the tables using the tool now in case
    there was a change, but still want to know if that really is the case or if
    there is another factor here that i am not seeing.)
    TdarTdar, Nov 5, 2005

  2. TdarTdar

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello,

    For a IIS 6.0 web site with .NET 2.0 framework installed, we can use the
    ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool to manage the roles. To use the tool,
    you must have Read and Write permissions to the Web.config file and the
    App_Data folder of the application being administered. If you cannot manage
    the configuration for the Web site using the Web Site Administration Tool,
    it is better to contact the system administrator of the web site.

    The database schema has changed slightly between beta and final version. We
    need to delete/rebuild these tables with aspnet_regsql.exe in final version.

    Hope this help,

    Luke
    [MSFT], Nov 7, 2005

  3. TdarTdar

    TdarTdar Guest

    Hello,
    When reinstalled the sql tables that worked fine.

    I am the server administrator. I am cerious that ASP.NET Web Site
    Administration Tool is there a more detailed how to faq on that?

    TdarTdar, Nov 8, 2005
  4. TdarTdar

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello,

    You may take a look at following article:

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6hy1xzbw(en-US,VS.80).aspx

    Especially, these four sections:

    Creating and Configuring the Application Services Database for SQL Server
    How-to Topics ¡ª Configuring ASP.NET Applications
    Walkthrough Topics ¡ª Configuring ASP.NET Applications
    Samples ¡ª Configuring ASP.NET Applications

    Luke
    [MSFT], Nov 8, 2005
  5. TdarTdar

    TdarTdar Guest

    I have the site setup for asp.net 2 i even have the membership role etc
    databases setup, I ran the install program for the ASP.NET Web Site
    Administration Tool after install the tool there is no info on how to use it
    what i need to do from there, I seen that page about the tool that does
    nothing more then describe its use, step 1: install the tool... step 2: do
    this... step 3 do that
    and there you are open inside the tool...

    TdarTdar, Nov 8, 2005
  6. TdarTdar

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello,

    Can you connect to the web site with VS.NET 2005? If so, there are may ways
    to open the admin tool in VS.NET 2005:

    Click the "Administrator Website" from dropdown menu of Login control.
    Click "ASP.NET Configration" in solution explorer window
    Click "ASP.NET Configration" from Menu "website"

    Did all these failed?

    To run the tool on remote server, your account will need enough permission
    to start an ASP.NET application. Also, please make sure there is no
    firewall/proxy between the client and the server. The tool require a random
    port.

    Luke
    [MSFT], Nov 9, 2005
  7. TdarTdar

    TdarTdar Guest

    Ok,
    Lets see:
    > Click the "Administrator Website" from dropdown menu of Login control.
    > Click "ASP.NET Configration" in solution explorer window
    > Click "ASP.NET Configration" from Menu "website"

    does not show up when i connet to the website, so yes to your question did
    these fail.

    > To run the tool on remote server,

    what tool the "Windows 2000 authorization manager runtime"

    Did that.
    > your account will need enough permission to start an ASP.NET application

    My accout, the asp.net account, have full administrator rights to the entire
    network

    >. Also, please make sure there is no
    > firewall/proxy between the client and the server. The tool require a random
    > port.

    There are no firewall/proxy between my system and the server. There is none
    on the server and my windows xp fire wall is off, and i have no other thrid
    party firewall service.

    how do i verify that the microsoft.interop.security.azoles.dll is setup
    right, if that is what hosts the pages to manage the users/roles in asp.net
    2.

    where do we go from here to get this working, as i am beyond stressed that
    this is not working, should I use a support incident ?

    TdarTdar, Nov 11, 2005
  8. TdarTdar

    [MSFT] Guest

    On the traget server, is .NET framework 2.0 installed? And is the IIS
    regsitered with ASP.NET 2.0?

    If it is still no luck, I suggest you may submit a support incident will
    phone call whcih may help you get around the issue promptly.

    Luke
    [MSFT], Nov 14, 2005
  9. TdarTdar

    TdarTdar Guest

    Yeah asp.net 2 is installed and even in the sites iis properties, and i have
    even selected the iis 2 in the what asp.net i am using for the site, so yes
    it is registered, i think i will call on that one. I guess the only other way
    would be to adjust the
    database manually or thru your Stored procedures, thanks for your help in
    this and the other matter of location's

    TdarTdar, Nov 14, 2005
  10. TdarTdar

    tbrummel Guest

    Did you get anywhere on this? I know your problem is not Widnows 2000 since
    I've got the exact same issue on my home network running Windows Server 2003.
    I am an admin and I see the ASP.NET Configuration option only for local
    websites. Once the site is hosted by IIS on the 2003 Server machine, the
    option in Visual Studio disappears.

    It sounds like a lot of people on this group are running into the same thing
    but there is no clear answer. Is it supposed to work or not?? MS says that
    as long as you have read/write access to web.config and the data directory,
    all should be well.

    We know that's not the case :) Any help would be appreciated.

    Tony

    tbrummel, Feb 24, 2006