ASP.Net Configuration File

Joel Cade

I'm having a problem with ASP.Net on a machine with both .Net
Framework 1.0 and 1.1. This application is targeted to 1.0 using IIS
application extension mappings. The following error page is shown
when the page is accessed.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error
configuration file required to service this request. Please review the
specific error details below and modify your configuration file
appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Execution permission cannot be acquired.

Source Error:

Line 197: <add assembly="System.Drawing,
Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
Line 198: <add assembly="System.EnterpriseServices,
Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
Line 199: <add assembly="*"/>
Line 200: </assemblies>
Line 201:

Source File: c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\Config\machine.config
Line: 199

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.0.3705.288;
ASP.NET Version:1.0.3705.360

The stack trace in the source of the page states:

[PolicyException]: Execution permission cannot be acquired.
at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String
codeBase, Boolean isStringized, Evidence assemblySecurity, Boolean
throwOnFileNotFound, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName
assemblyRef, Boolean stringized, Evidence assemblySecurity,
StackCrawlMark& stackMark)...
[ConfigurationException]: Execution permission cannot be acquired.
(c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\Config\machine.config line
199)
at System.Web.UI.CompilationConfiguration.LoadAssemblies(Hashtable
original)
at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.AppendConfigAssemblies()
The following steps have been taken:
- The indexing service has been uninstalled on the server and the
server has been rebooted.
- There is no anti-virus software running on the machine.

I've searched the Microsoft knowledge base and google groups, but
haven't found any answers. Thanks in advance for any help!

Joel Cade, MCSD

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Check IIS, as ASP.NET Framework 1.1 maps to 1.1 in IIS when installed. In
your config file, you can add the following, which will make sure 1.0 is
used for this app.

<startup>
<supportedRuntime version="v1.0.3705" /> <!-- version 1.0 -->
</startup>

If this does not straighten it, you have to look at the security profile you
are using for this app. 1.1 locks things down more than 1.0, which is
overall a good thing. It sounds like your app, although you feel it is
configured for 1.0, is running under 1.1.

Joel Cade said:
[...]

David Berman

I have the exact same problem, and it came out of nowhere. Everything
was working fine and then it just broke on me. I was coding and then I
installed Macromedia Shockwave or something to view something on a web
page and kerplam I'm dead in the water. I checked the last modified
stamp on my machine.config file and it doesn't look modified. I didn't
change anything in the security settings myself.

Also, why would you want to change the application to run on the version
1.0 framework instead of 1.1?

Dave

Meet people for friendship, contacts,
or romance using free instant messaging software! See a picture you
like? Click once for a private conversation with that person!

www.SEN.us