ASP.net hosting and permissions

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

We are preparing to build some applications that will be redistributed to
other users. They will customize / or just use out of the box.

But each user will be responsible for their own deployment of these web
applications. Some will have their own servers, some will co locate. But a
very large portion of them will simply get an account with some web host and
want to deploy it with them.

The applciation consists of ASP.net DLLs (HTTP Handlers with web.config).

We have run into some permission issues with some of the more restrictive
hosts and I'd like to ask for responses to a basic survey of how these hosts
that allow hosting of ASP.net applications are configured for end users.

Each host I assume gives an executable as well as a content directory.

Do they limit each account to one "application" virtual dir for executable
content? Can more be made easily?

Obviously the directories have execute permissions. What else can the
application do? The applications will contain an embedded DB and will need to
write its data files somewhere.

Can the application read and write from its own directory? Can sub
directories be created? Can sub directories be deleted? Can the temp
directory be written to (According to the Win32 docs - it must be, but I have
seen a few servers that were improperly locked down...)

Same questions above for the content directories. Can they be written to?
Folders created? Files deleted?

Kevin Spencer

Generally speaking, hosting compaines don't let applications write files
and/or folders to the machines on which they reside, even inside the hosted
web sites, for security reasons.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

Kevin Spencer said:
Generally speaking, hosting compaines don't let applications write files
and/or folders to the machines on which they reside, even inside the hosted
web sites, for security reasons.

How is data persisted then? Everyone just gets an account with SQL server
available?

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

Kevin Spencer said:
Generally speaking, hosting compaines don't let applications write files
and/or folders to the machines on which they reside, even inside the hosted
web sites, for security reasons.

Also what about the temp dir? IIRC Windows demands that a temp dir be
availale and writeable for all users.

Kevin Spencer

I don't run a hosting service. I'm only telling you that's how they operate.
If you want to know all the reasons why, ask one of them.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer