ASP.NET Installation Question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Joe Delphi, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Joe Delphi

    Joe Delphi Guest

    Hi,

    I purchased the ASP.NET Programming with Visual Basic .NET book from
    Microsoft Press by G. Andrew Duthie. It comes with a companion CD-ROM that
    contains examples.

    I am unable to open any of the projects from the CD-ROM inside the
    IDE. I keep getting a message that says that I need to re-run the .NET
    installation and this time - install the web components. I have attempted
    to re-run the installation, but the installation does not prompt me to
    install any web components. I am running the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003 Standard Edition with .NET 1.1 framework. And yes, IIS is installed
    and running.

    Is it possible that these web components are not part of Standard
    Edition but maybe a more enhanced edition?

    Does this mean that I cannot do ASP.NET development with .NET 2003
    Standard Edition? Perhaps the web components that I need are available
    from a website somewhere?

    JD
    Joe Delphi, Apr 7, 2005

  2. On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:12:17 -0500, Joe Delphi
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I purchased the ASP.NET Programming with Visual Basic .NET book
    > from
    > Microsoft Press by G. Andrew Duthie. It comes with a companion CD-ROM
    > that
    > contains examples.
    >
    > I am unable to open any of the projects from the CD-ROM inside
    > the
    > IDE. I keep getting a message that says that I need to re-run the .NET
    > installation and this time - install the web components. I have
    > attempted
    > to re-run the installation, but the installation does not prompt me to
    > install any web components. I am running the Microsoft Visual Studio
    > .NET
    > 2003 Standard Edition with .NET 1.1 framework. And yes, IIS is
    > installed
    > and running.
    >
    > Is it possible that these web components are not part of Standard
    > Edition but maybe a more enhanced edition?
    >
    > Does this mean that I cannot do ASP.NET development with .NET
    > 2003
    > Standard Edition? Perhaps the web components that I need are available
    > from a website somewhere?
    >

    > JD

    During install, at the screen that lists components (a big treeview with
    options you can select/deselect), on the left-hand side, under some
    heading like "Server Components" you should see something like "Web
    Development" (don't remember the names). If IIS was installed before
    VS.NET was installed, it should have been pre-checked to be installed.
    Otherwise re-run checking it...

    If you did this and still doesn't work, browse via a command-line prompt
    to your .NET installation folder (something like
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322) and run

    aspnet_regiis -i

    This will 'reinstall' ASP.NET on your server....

    --
    Craig Deelsnyder
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    Craig Deelsnyder, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Joe Delphi

    Joe Delphi Guest

    > During install, at the screen that lists components (a big treeview with
    > options you can select/deselect), on the left-hand side, under some
    > heading like "Server Components" you should see something like "Web
    > Development" (don't remember the names). If IIS was installed before
    > VS.NET was installed, it should have been pre-checked to be installed.
    > Otherwise re-run checking it...
    >
    > Craig Deelsnyder
    > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    Thank you for responding to my post. My problem is that the big treeview
    that appears during installation does not display an option labled "Server
    Components" or anything like that. The treeview only has these items:

    Visual Basic .NET Standard
    ..NET Framework SDK
    Samples

    I have selected all of them for installation and still no joy. Perhaps I
    have an outdated version of the installation package?

    JD
    Joe Delphi, Apr 7, 2005
  4. On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:52:32 -0500, Joe Delphi
    <> wrote:

    >> During install, at the screen that lists components (a big treeview with
    >> options you can select/deselect), on the left-hand side, under some
    >> heading like "Server Components" you should see something like "Web
    >> Development" (don't remember the names). If IIS was installed before
    >> VS.NET was installed, it should have been pre-checked to be installed.
    >> Otherwise re-run checking it...
    >>
    >> Craig Deelsnyder
    >> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    > Thank you for responding to my post. My problem is that the big
    > treeview
    > that appears during installation does not display an option labled
    > "Server
    > Components" or anything like that. The treeview only has these items:
    >
    > Visual Basic .NET Standard
    > .NET Framework SDK
    > Samples
    >
    > I have selected all of them for installation and still no joy.
    > Perhaps I
    > have an outdated version of the installation package?
    >
    > JD

    Hmmm, are you sure you have Visual Studio .NET? Sounds more like Visual
    Basic.NET Standard Edition possibly:

    http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=426118

    If so, I don't know about that product or its installation screens; sounds
    like it should have web (ASP.NET) support, though...have you tried the
    suggestion of doing the command-line program (aspnet_regiis -i)? If it's
    there and you can run it perhaps that will fix it....

    Or hopefully someone else can chime in here on that product...

    --
    Craig Deelsnyder
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    Craig Deelsnyder, Apr 8, 2005
  5. Joe Delphi

    Joe Delphi Guest

    > Hmmm, are you sure you have Visual Studio .NET? Sounds more like Visual
    > Basic.NET Standard Edition possibly:
    >
    > http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=426118
    >
    > If so, I don't know about that product or its installation screens; sounds
    > like it should have web (ASP.NET) support, though...have you tried the
    > suggestion of doing the command-line program (aspnet_regiis -i)? If it's
    > there and you can run it perhaps that will fix it....
    >
    > Or hopefully someone else can chime in here on that product...
    >
    > --
    > Craig Deelsnyder
    > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    Yes, I did the aspnet_regiis -i command and that did fix a message that I
    was getting about not having ASP 1.1 on the computer, but I still get this
    other error message about not having "web components" installed.

    I think you are correct, I do have Visual Basic .NET Standard Edition.

    Does anyone know if I can do ASP.NET development with this product?

    JD
    Joe Delphi, Apr 8, 2005
  6. As long as you're running it on Windows XP Professional,
    Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003 you should have
    no problem writing, testing, and running web apps and
    Web Services on Visual.Basic.NET Standard.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en EspaƱol