ASP.NET Installation Question

Joe Delphi

Hi,

I purchased the ASP.NET Programming with Visual Basic .NET book from
Microsoft Press by G. Andrew Duthie. It comes with a companion CD-ROM that
contains examples.

I am unable to open any of the projects from the CD-ROM inside the
IDE. I keep getting a message that says that I need to re-run the .NET
installation and this time - install the web components. I have attempted
to re-run the installation, but the installation does not prompt me to
install any web components. I am running the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003 Standard Edition with .NET 1.1 framework. And yes, IIS is installed
and running.

Is it possible that these web components are not part of Standard
Edition but maybe a more enhanced edition?

Does this mean that I cannot do ASP.NET development with .NET 2003
Standard Edition? Perhaps the web components that I need are available
from a website somewhere?

JD

Craig Deelsnyder

[...]

During install, at the screen that lists components (a big treeview with
options you can select/deselect), on the left-hand side, under some
heading like "Server Components" you should see something like "Web
Development" (don't remember the names). If IIS was installed before
VS.NET was installed, it should have been pre-checked to be installed.
Otherwise re-run checking it...

If you did this and still doesn't work, browse via a command-line prompt
to your .NET installation folder (something like
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322) and run

aspnet_regiis -i

This will 'reinstall' ASP.NET on your server....

Joe Delphi

During install, at the screen that lists components (a big treeview with
options you can select/deselect), on the left-hand side, under some
heading like "Server Components" you should see something like "Web
Development" (don't remember the names). If IIS was installed before
VS.NET was installed, it should have been pre-checked to be installed.
Otherwise re-run checking it...

Craig Deelsnyder
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

Thank you for responding to my post. My problem is that the big treeview
that appears during installation does not display an option labled "Server
Components" or anything like that. The treeview only has these items:

Visual Basic .NET Standard
..NET Framework SDK
Samples

I have selected all of them for installation and still no joy. Perhaps I
have an outdated version of the installation package?

JD

Craig Deelsnyder

Thank you for responding to my post. My problem is that the big
treeview
that appears during installation does not display an option labled
"Server
Components" or anything like that. The treeview only has these items:

Visual Basic .NET Standard
.NET Framework SDK
Samples

I have selected all of them for installation and still no joy.
Perhaps I
have an outdated version of the installation package?

JD

Hmmm, are you sure you have Visual Studio .NET? Sounds more like Visual
Basic.NET Standard Edition possibly:

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=426118

If so, I don't know about that product or its installation screens; sounds
like it should have web (ASP.NET) support, though...have you tried the
suggestion of doing the command-line program (aspnet_regiis -i)? If it's
there and you can run it perhaps that will fix it....

Or hopefully someone else can chime in here on that product...

Joe Delphi

Hmmm, are you sure you have Visual Studio .NET? Sounds more like Visual
Basic.NET Standard Edition possibly:

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=426118

If so, I don't know about that product or its installation screens; sounds
like it should have web (ASP.NET) support, though...have you tried the
suggestion of doing the command-line program (aspnet_regiis -i)? If it's
there and you can run it perhaps that will fix it....

Or hopefully someone else can chime in here on that product...

Yes, I did the aspnet_regiis -i command and that did fix a message that I
was getting about not having ASP 1.1 on the computer, but I still get this
other error message about not having "web components" installed.

I think you are correct, I do have Visual Basic .NET Standard Edition.

Does anyone know if I can do ASP.NET development with this product?

JD

Juan T. Llibre

As long as you're running it on Windows XP Professional,
Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003 you should have
no problem writing, testing, and running web apps and
Web Services on Visual.Basic.NET Standard.