ASP.NET not working. Where to go troubleshoot?

Charax

I'm absolutely brand new to ASP. I got a copy of ASP.NET for Dummies, coded
the sample first page in FrontPage, but it won't run on my localhost server,
using the IE6 browser to view it. I have WinXP Pro, Office 2003 for
Developers installed. IIS is installed, as is SQL Server. Also installed
Visual Studio.NET for Office.

I've looked at the FAQs, but they all seem to start with the assumption that
ASP.NET is installed and working. Where do I go to start trying to
understand why ASPX isn't working on my machine?

Thanks.

JPL

To start, what error are you receiving in the browser? To
get the most descriptive error possible, uncheck "Show
friendly HTTP error messages" in the "Advanced" tab of IE
options.

JPL

Charax

Guest

Hello

I am running IIS 5.1 on Win XP Pro with all the latest patches and updates. I have installed the .NET framework and attempted to run a simple .aspx page from the sample microsoft .net tutorials. The page contains a form with a text field that is populated with a value once the form is submitted. When the page is viewed in the web browser, the server code is revealed in the text field, and the page (and any other .aspx pages) does not run properly. I am assured that the code I am running is an example of VB/asp.net (not classic asp). Classic ASP pages DO run on my local web server. And the aspx page I tried does work on another web server running .NET, so its not in the syntax of the page

I ran C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i and it ran successfully. I also ran the -lv option to check the version , it returne
1.1.4322.0 Valid C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dl

So I don't know where else to go. any suggestions

thanks

David

Thanks for being willing to share your knowledge.
I'm a real newbie to asp.net and had been so disappointed by not being
able to see the results for my first - very simple - code.

The I too ran C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe
-i
and was rewarded with a page with executed asp

Thanks again.