ASP shutting off, needs recycling often

Dave Anderson

NewbieSupreme said:
Hosted on a Windows 2003 server...

...The current hosting company is telling me that they have
no way to detect, trace, or log ASP errors, and that neither
Windows 2003 server nor IIS 6 has any way to do so...

Nonsense. IIS6 makes this much easier than ever.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/standard/ca_wpim.asp

--
Dave Anderson

NewbieSupreme

I've seen several posts about this, and was wondering if anyone has a
solution yet:

Hosted on a Windows 2003 server, ASP pages just stop loading, and don't
produce any errors (the load status bar of the browser just slowly increases
infinitely until you cancel the load). All html pages work fine, and the
ASP service must be restarted (recycled) to get the ASP pages working again.

This has been a pretty consistent problem with my website and two separate
hosting companies. The current hosting company is telling me that they have
no way to detect, trace, or log ASP errors, and that neither Windows 2003
server nor IIS 6 has any way to do so. How is that possible? Is the only
way to track down a problem with ASP to look through every page's code line
by line, and with the human eye predict what will cause an error? I'm not
an expert programmer, but isn't this an absolutely outlandish claim? How
can a hosting company claim that there is no way with the technology and
software they're using to find any errors that lead up to ASP stopping? Or
even any ASP error period, like an invalid object, or incorrect path?

Anyway, any feedback on this would be most helpful. Recycling the ASP
service is fine and all, but I'm trying to do things right and track down
the actual cause, which I feel must be something about the ASP code.

Thanks for ANY help

PS: Sorry if you hate that I posted this to 2 groups; I'm pretty desperate
to get some help and both groups seemed applicable. If there is somewhere
else I should post this, please let me know.

Newbie Supreme

Adrian Forbes [ASP MVP]

It is either a case of going through your code to see what could cause a
problem, or getting hold of a Windows 2003 server that you can test your app
on to get a better idea about what is going on.

If you need to do the former I'd concentrate on any third-party or in-house
developed DLLs, and how you are using DLLs in general.