asp V3 and asp.net

Guest

Hi there

Apologies if this is an absolutely nonsense question... I have been finding
plenty of information regarding using different versions of the .NET
framework on the same web server so that web applications that have been
developed over considerable time scans by different people using different
versions of .NET can still function... what about if I am migrating an
existing ASP V3 application to a server capable of running ASP.NET, adding
some .aspx pages.... can the server be configured so that the old asp stuff
will still run ? Or must it all be upgraded ?

Thanks for your input

Stuart

Hans Kesting

Stuart said:
Hi there

Apologies if this is an absolutely nonsense question... I have been
finding plenty of information regarding using different versions of
the .NET framework on the same web server so that web applications
that have been developed over considerable time scans by different
people using different versions of .NET can still function... what
about if I am migrating an existing ASP V3 application to a server
capable of running ASP.NET, adding some .aspx pages.... can the
server be configured so that the old asp stuff will still run ? Or
must it all be upgraded ?

Thanks for your input

Stuart

You can run asp and asp.net applications side-by-side, but to combine
them into one app is very difficult. It's a very different programming model
and they can't share session-state (but there are some tricks to synchronise
sessions)

Hans Kesting

Brock Allen

Both can run together in the same virtual directory. But they are two different
programming models, and thus don't take directly to one another. IOW, things
like Session state are not shared.