ASP without IIS

Chris Cameron

Is it possible to run ASP scripts, on a windows server but without using
IIS as the webserver?

I'm not interested in things like Chili-Soft, but would like to run ASP
the same way IIS does (properly using COM Objects and all).

Is this possible, or am I stuck with IIS to run fully IIS compatible ASP?

Thanks,
Chris

Bob Barrows

Chris said:
Is it possible to run ASP scripts, on a windows server but without
using IIS as the webserver?

I'm not interested in things like Chili-Soft, but would like to run
ASP the same way IIS does (properly using COM Objects and all).

Is this possible, or am I stuck with IIS to run fully IIS compatible
ASP?
Yes. IIS is required.
Bob Barrows

Curt_C [MVP]

Are you saying you want to write your own webserver service?
There are a few out there (Apache, IIS, etc) already. If you want to write
your own you are talking a MASSIVE undertaking. Port listening,
transmit/receive, etc etc etc...

Why though.... does IIS not work for your needs?

Chris Cameron

Crap no.. I want a webserver that runs ASP as well as IIS, but not use
IIS.

I'd rather not use IIS if I didn't need to. I've had a couple of nagging
problems that I'm a little tired of dealing with.

Chris

Curt_C [MVP]

Ah.....
You would have to build a custom parser for .ASP then and remap the
extention to the new DLL you wrote. But I'm unaware of any windows
webservers that are easy to do this with...

Jeff Cochran

Is it possible to run ASP scripts, on a windows server but without using
IIS as the webserver?

That's pretty counterproductive isn't it? Is there a reason you don't
want IIS that perhaps we can provide a solution to?
I'm not interested in things like Chili-Soft, but would like to run ASP
the same way IIS does (properly using COM Objects and all).

If that's what you want, you *need* IIS. It is the only fully
functional ASP implementation.
Is this possible, or am I stuck with IIS to run fully IIS compatible ASP?

Again I have to ask. You want ASP on a Windows server that functiuons
identical to IIS but you don't want IIS?

How about a better explanation of what you're doing and why you want
this? There just has to be something I'm missing in the equation.

Jeff