aspexec is not working in IIS 6.0

c676228

Hi all,

I am doing a migration for our web program from IIS 5.0 to IIS 6.0
One thing I was baffled is aspexec component.
I didn't change the code, but it seems the following code doesn't work
anymore in
IIS 6.0 in windows 2003

set Executor = Server.CreateObject("ASPExec.Execute")
Executor.Application = sDosCmd
sResult=Executor.ExecuteDosApp

the sResult actually give "ERROR: Could not create process"

I remember I have seen somebody posted on the internet that I need to set up
a web anonymouse account permission for aspexec.dll. but don't remember how.
Can someone out there help me out here?
Thank you

c676228

Hi David,
Based on the second page you provided, it seems that windows 2003 cannot
support aspexec. Is there any other similar component like aspexec I can find.
Thanks for your information.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Betty,

As David said, the "aspexec.dll" seems not built-in components. Therefore,
you can check your new IIS6 server to see whether it has been installed on
it.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

c676228

Hi Steven,
Yes, I installed is specifically. I found a helpful link, but I haven't
tried that yet.
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=509220&page=191

I am not sure if our server is a virtual machine, it will make any
difference or not.
I will try it tomorrow. Does the information provided in t

--
Betty

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Betty,

As David said, the "aspexec.dll" seems not built-in components. Therefore,
you can check your new IIS6 server to see whether it has been installed on
it.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

c676228

Hi all,
I tested. It seems that it is not axpecec problem since the following code
runs OK.
<%
Set Executor = Server.CreateObject("ASPExec.Execute")
Executor.Application = "cmd /c copy d:\root\ac\testaspexec.asp
d:\root\utility"
Executor.Parameters = ""
strResult = Executor.ExecuteDosApp
Response.Write "<pre>" & strResult & "</pre>"
%>

while when I try to run paypal pfpro using aspexec, 'error, process cannot
be created'. See beblow. While I never has this problem in windows 2000, not
sure why in windows 2003, I am running into this issue. Any other resouces I
can direct to? I just noticed that 2003 server just basically locks up many
things.

<%

Set Executor = Server.CreateObject("ASPExec.Execute")
Executor.Application = "pfpro test-payflow.verisign.com 443" & Chr(34)

c676228 said:
Hi Steven,
Yes, I installed is specifically. I found a helpful link, but I haven't
tried that yet.
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=509220&page=191

I am not sure if our server is a virtual machine, it will make any
difference or not.
I will try it tomorrow. Does the information provided in t

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Betty,

As you mentioned the error only occurs when running the "paypal pfpro"
component, I think you can try executing that component in a vbs script
file through windows script host rather than ASP page. e.g. Try run some
scripts that use the "paypal pfpro" from file explorer to see whether the
problem also occurs.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

c676228

Hi Steven,
Does that make any difference if I tell you that I can run pfpro in DOS from
any directory on windows 2003 server. that proves that my software set up is
all right?

--
Betty

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Betty,

As you mentioned the error only occurs when running the "paypal pfpro"
component, I think you can try executing that component in a vbs script
file through windows script host rather than ASP page. e.g. Try run some
scripts that use the "paypal pfpro" from file explorer to see whether the
problem also occurs.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your quick reply Betty,

Yes, it can ensure the setup of that component. Also, when running from GUI
or console, the secuirty context is the logon user(interactive one) rather
than the IIS worker process identity, this may differ the behavior if
problem is related to the execution account or context. I'm not familar
with the pfpro component, is there anything it will perform and require
restricted resource?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

c676228

Hi Steven,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, I thought about that too. That's why I added IUSR_Myservername and
IWAM_myservername to have read and execute permission on pfpro.exe. but it
still not working.

But you did remind me one thing. Since I was executing pfpro in dos windows.
that means as long as I set path for the pfpro.exe in the system, I can run
pfpro in any directory.
but through web, if I on't give path or use absolute path for pfpro in asp
program. Asp program doesn't understand where to look for pfpro. So error
messge will be "Error: cannot create process."
Now I just give out the absolute path for pfpro. It works fine now.
Thank you, thank you.
--
Betty

Steven Cheng said:
Thanks for your quick reply Betty,

Yes, it can ensure the setup of that component. Also, when running from GUI
or console, the secuirty context is the logon user(interactive one) rather
than the IIS worker process identity, this may differ the behavior if
problem is related to the execution account or context. I'm not familar
with the pfpro component, is there anything it will perform and require
restricted resource?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

That's great. I'm glad that you've got it working.

Have a good day!

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead