aspexec is not working in IIS 6.0

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by c676228, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi all,

    I am doing a migration for our web program from IIS 5.0 to IIS 6.0
    One thing I was baffled is aspexec component.
    I didn't change the code, but it seems the following code doesn't work
    anymore in
    IIS 6.0 in windows 2003

    set Executor = Server.CreateObject("ASPExec.Execute")
    Executor.Application = sDosCmd
    sResult=Executor.ExecuteDosApp

    the sResult actually give "ERROR: Could not create process"

    I remember I have seen somebody posted on the internet that I need to set up
    a web anonymouse account permission for aspexec.dll. but don't remember how.
    Can someone out there help me out here?
    Thank you

    --
    Betty

    c676228, Nov 8, 2007

  2. c676228

    David Morgan Guest

    This is a third party component and unlikely to be installed on your new
    server.

    http://www.serverobjects.com/
    http://www.nodevice.com/dll/ASPEXEC_DLL/item1931.html

    David Morgan, Nov 8, 2007

  3. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi David,
    Based on the second page you provided, it seems that windows 2003 cannot
    support aspexec. Is there any other similar component like aspexec I can find.
    Thanks for your information.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Nov 9, 2007
  4. Hi Betty,

    As David said, the "aspexec.dll" seems not built-in components. Therefore,
    you can check your new IIS6 server to see whether it has been installed on
    it.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 9, 2007
  5. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi Steven,
    Yes, I installed is specifically. I found a helpful link, but I haven't
    tried that yet.
    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=509220&page=191

    I am not sure if our server is a virtual machine, it will make any
    difference or not.
    I will try it tomorrow. Does the information provided in t

    --
    Betty

    c676228, Nov 9, 2007
  6. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi all,
    I tested. It seems that it is not axpecec problem since the following code
    runs OK.
    <%
    Set Executor = Server.CreateObject("ASPExec.Execute")
    Executor.Application = "cmd /c copy d:\root\ac\testaspexec.asp
    d:\root\utility"
    Executor.Parameters = ""
    strResult = Executor.ExecuteDosApp
    Response.Write "<pre>" & strResult & "</pre>"
    %>

    while when I try to run paypal pfpro using aspexec, 'error, process cannot
    be created'. See beblow. While I never has this problem in windows 2000, not
    sure why in windows 2003, I am running into this issue. Any other resouces I
    can direct to? I just noticed that 2003 server just basically locks up many
    things.

    <%

    Set Executor = Server.CreateObject("ASPExec.Execute")
    Executor.Application = "pfpro test-payflow.verisign.com 443" & Chr(34)

    c676228, Nov 10, 2007
  7. Hi Betty,

    As you mentioned the error only occurs when running the "paypal pfpro"
    component, I think you can try executing that component in a vbs script
    file through windows script host rather than ASP page. e.g. Try run some
    scripts that use the "paypal pfpro" from file explorer to see whether the
    problem also occurs.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 12, 2007
  8. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi Steven,
    Does that make any difference if I tell you that I can run pfpro in DOS from
    any directory on windows 2003 server. that proves that my software set up is
    all right?

    --
    Betty

    c676228, Nov 12, 2007
  9. Thanks for your quick reply Betty,

    Yes, it can ensure the setup of that component. Also, when running from GUI
    or console, the secuirty context is the logon user(interactive one) rather
    than the IIS worker process identity, this may differ the behavior if
    problem is related to the execution account or context. I'm not familar
    with the pfpro component, is there anything it will perform and require
    restricted resource?

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 12, 2007
  10. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi Steven,
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Yes, I thought about that too. That's why I added IUSR_Myservername and
    IWAM_myservername to have read and execute permission on pfpro.exe. but it
    still not working.

    But you did remind me one thing. Since I was executing pfpro in dos windows.
    that means as long as I set path for the pfpro.exe in the system, I can run
    pfpro in any directory.
    but through web, if I on't give path or use absolute path for pfpro in asp
    program. Asp program doesn't understand where to look for pfpro. So error
    messge will be "Error: cannot create process."
    Now I just give out the absolute path for pfpro. It works fine now.
    Thank you, thank you.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Nov 12, 2007
  11. That's great. I'm glad that you've got it working.

    Have a good day!

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------
    sgroup.nospam>
    >Subject: RE: aspexec is not working in IIS 6.0
    >Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:28:01 -0800
    >
    >Hi Steven,
    >Thanks for the quick reply.
    >Yes, I thought about that too. That's why I added IUSR_Myservername and
    >IWAM_myservername to have read and execute permission on pfpro.exe. but it
    >still not working.
    >
    >But you did remind me one thing. Since I was executing pfpro in dos

    windows.
    >that means as long as I set path for the pfpro.exe in the system, I can

    run
    >pfpro in any directory.
    >but through web, if I on't give path or use absolute path for pfpro in asp
    >program. Asp program doesn't understand where to look for pfpro. So error
    >messge will be "Error: cannot create process."
    >Now I just give out the absolute path for pfpro. It works fine now.
    >Thank you, thank you.
    >--
    >Betty
    >

    >"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for your quick reply Betty,
    >>
    >> Yes, it can ensure the setup of that component. Also, when running from

    GUI
    >> or console, the secuirty context is the logon user(interactive one)

    rather
    >> than the IIS worker process identity, this may differ the behavior if
    >> problem is related to the execution account or context. I'm not familar
    >> with the pfpro component, is there anything it will perform and require
    >> restricted resource?
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Steven Cheng
    >>
    >> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead