    Thanks,
    RMD

    , Jun 22, 2005

  2. Paul Clement Guest

    On 22 Jun 2005 10:05:34 -0700, wrote:

    ¤ I've been developing on this machine for months and have created many
    ¤ ASP.NET applications that connect to various remote machines, mostly
    ¤ databases.
    ¤
    ¤ All of a sudden, I am unable to connect to my SQL Server even though I
    ¤ have a valid connection string (no, I'm not using integrated security).
    ¤ This exact connection string works perfectly in WinForms apps.
    ¤
    ¤ Anytime I try to connect via an ASP.NET app, I get the familiar message
    ¤ "SQL Server does not exist or access is denied." Using SQL Profiler I
    ¤ see it never even makes a connection attempt.
    ¤
    ¤ This leads me to believe that, some how, my local ASPNET account has
    ¤ lost its network privledges.
    ¤
    ¤ Ideas? (Aside from just granting my ASPNET account admin access or
    ¤ impersonating another account.)
    ¤
    ¤ Again, this happened suddenly and it used to work just fine.

    Couple of obvious things to check:

    Is the SQL Server service running?
    Is SQL Server authentication limited to Windows authentication?

    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

    Paul Clement, Jun 22, 2005

    Yes, the SQL Service service is running.

    No, SQL Server is not limited to Windows Auth, hence the reason the
    same code with the same connection string works in a Winforms app.

    , Jun 22, 2005
  4. Paul Clement Guest

    On 22 Jun 2005 12:04:01 -0700, wrote:

    ¤ Yes, the SQL Service service is running.
    ¤
    ¤ No, SQL Server is not limited to Windows Auth, hence the reason the
    ¤ same code with the same connection string works in a Winforms app.

    In that case you may need to do a bit of troubleshooting:

    Potential causes of the "SQL Server does not exist or access denied" error message
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328306

    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

    Paul Clement, Jun 23, 2005

    I think this may have something to do with a recent rollout of McAfee
    8.0 to our domain.

    Is it possible that McAfee has modified the privledges of the ASPNET
    user account to prevent it from accessing the network?

    If so, what's the best way to enumerate these kinds of permissions for
    a local user and perhaps change them?

    Thanks,
    RMD

    , Jun 23, 2005
  6. Among other things, this URL
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmod/html/secmod15.asp
    details the minimum permissions to grant the ASPNET account,
    or any account you might wish to use to impersonate it.

    If you need to add more permissions do so,
    but remember to manage your risks wisely.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 23, 2005

    It turns out the issue was with SQL Server. For whatever reason, it
    decided to stop accepting connections from some accounts while still
    accepting connections from others.

    We restarted the SQL Server service, and it started working again.

    Very strange.

    , Jun 24, 2005