ASPNET Deployment

Arturo

Hello everybody:

I am having a problem deploying an ASP.NET application. I want to
build an installer that has to do the following:

1. Install the application:
2. In the CustomActions, I am calling "cacls.exe" to grant write
privileges to data\database.mdb to the ASPNET user account.

Everything is fine but, the problem arises when I try to test in one
of my servers. The server is Windows 2003 and I installed application
server. I haven't made any changes to it (no security settings,
etc...)

I have noticed that the folders under inetpub are created and the
privileges are granted for a user called IUSR_<MACHINE_NAME>. When i
give writing rights to this user, the application works fine.

How can I query for the user that asp.net will run on on the
installation?

Thanks in advance!

Arturo

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

IUSR_{MACHINE_NAME} is standard for anon HTTP access, so you can simply
query the machine name for this. The ASP.NET worker process account is set
in machine.config, but there may be an easier way to determine this account.

Depending on what you are actually trying to do, you may be better to have
the installer set up an account and set your thread to that account when you
perform write actions. This reduces the exposure from granting IUSR rights.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!