Special Deployment required

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by DGleeson3@gmail.com, Jan 16, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hello All

    Hope Im posting in the right place. If not please point me elsewhere.

    We are developing a reasonably standard Web application. VS2005
    ASP.NET SQL server 2005.

    The unusual requirement comes from the deployment (installation) of
    this web application.

    I should start by saying that the business application requires that
    this web site be deployed on the end user's site by a non technical
    person. And this deployment scenario will occur many many times. On
    different sites as new customers buy the product.

    Because the installer of the web site has only a users level of
    ability with computers Changing IP addresses, modifying firewall
    settings, organizing Fixed IP addresses etc. are not within this
    persons expertise.

    So what we need to achieve goes like this
    (a) Get the end user to purchase a new PC. We can probably specify
    the
    operating system but not the version.
    (b) Power up the PC at end users site, connect to LAN.
    (c) Put in a CD from us (containing EVERYTHING needed for a perfect
    installation) and
    (d) start the install.

    Result.
    when the install is complete we have
    (a) a web server serving our web site
    (b) web site is accessible on the web
    (c) remote access to the database is done through the web site.

    There are no system administrators involved, no registration with
    telecomms providers or other web sites. Everything must happen
    automatically.

    All input is greatly appreciated.

    Kind regards

    Denis
    ______________________
    http://www.CentronSolutions.co.uk

    , Jan 16, 2008

  2. bruce barker Guest

    this is probably impossible.

    issues you face:

    1) creating domain service accounts with the correct permissions (differ by
    os service pack). may be able to get away with a local account
    2) firewall config (api) is dependant on vendor
    3) dns config (api) is dependant on isp
    4) may need to do local router config (point to point setup).
    5) ipaddress depends on dns and dhcp configuartion and vendor

    if you want turn key installation, you should look at hosting the
    application at your site.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jan 17, 2008

    Hello Bruce

    Many thanks for your reply.

    I take your point about hosting the application at our site.

    As Ive not looked into this before, you might be able to help me with
    a few questions to clarify the issue.

    > 1) creating domain service accounts with the correct permissions (differ by
    > os service pack). may be able to get away with a local account

    Ok, this has something to do with the OS. Dont realy understand this
    one.

    > 2) firewall config (api) is dependant on vendor

    OK. We could specify the OS to use, eg.XP vista and automatically
    modify the config assuming that it was one of these two.

    > 3) dns config (api) is dependant on isp

    Even though we are setting up a web server do we still need to go
    through isp for dns config?

    > 4) may need to do local router config (point to point setup).

    This is to do with allowing the web server machine to be seen on the
    internet?

    > 5) ipaddress depends on dns and dhcp configuartion and vendor

    But wouldnt we have a URL at the end of the process? The specific IP
    address isnt that important.

    May be there is a good reference site out there about hosting a web
    site.
    I appreciate your understanding and input.

    Denis

    , Jan 17, 2008
  4. bruce barker Guest

    see inline >>>

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    "" wrote:

    > Hello Bruce
    >
    > Many thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I take your point about hosting the application at our site.
    >
    > As Ive not looked into this before, you might be able to help me with
    > a few questions to clarify the issue.
    >
    > > 1) creating domain service accounts with the correct permissions (differ by
    > > os service pack). may be able to get away with a local account

    > Ok, this has something to do with the OS. Dont realy understand this
    > one.
    >

    >> >different version of the os (xp, xp sp1, xp sp2, vista) require different permissions and groups for the service account (app pool)

    > > 2) firewall config (api) is dependant on vendor

    > OK. We could specify the OS to use, eg.XP vista and automatically
    > modify the config assuming that it was one of these two.
    >

    >>> the firewall is usually an external device (100's of vendors) that must be configuerd to allow the internet users access to the web server. there actually may be more than one box involved. typically you wouold need to configure the router point to point to the reverese proxy, and then config the reverse proxy.

    > > 3) dns config (api) is dependant on isp

    > Even though we are setting up a web server do we still need to go
    > through isp for dns config?
    >

    >>> yes, dns translates the server name to an ipaddress.

    > > 4) may need to do local router config (point to point setup).

    > This is to do with allowing the web server machine to be seen on the
    > internet?

    >>> yes.

    bruce barker, Jan 17, 2008