    don't do any development on this production server (no need to connect with
    VS.NET, FWIW), and no FrontPage Server Extensions are required on this box.

    Thanks!
    Frankie, Jul 15, 2005

  2. Frankie

    WJ Guest

    "aspnet_client folder" is mostly used by 3rd parties web controls. Example:
    If you buy Infragistic web controls and install them on your server and or
    your developer PC, there will be a subfolder under this "aspnet_client" by
    default called "infragistics". This is a central location so that your web
    applications, no matter where they are located on the server, they will work
    with this particular folder "infragistics". As a result, if you see nothing
    in there, you can safely delete it. You can also delete this folder
    ("aspnet_client") if you want to put your 3rd party tools under a web site
    that uses them. The problem with this is that when the new version of these
    tools come in, you will have to remember which web site uses which tools in
    order to update them properly.

    You can also rename the ""aspnet_client folder" to your liking, however, you
    must also remember to reference the same name in your VS.Net IDE at design
    time so that it will work when your app. is finally deployed to your
    production server. In short, client (developer PC) and server must match.

    John
    WJ, Jul 15, 2005

  3. Frankie

    Siva M Guest

    aspnet_client folder is required because it stores certain JavaScript (.js)
    files required by some ASP.NET validation controls and for smart navigation.
    It is also used by certain 3rd party UI component developers.

    "Frankie" <> wrote in message
    I have a bunch of ASP.NET Web sites on a production server. Until today,
    some had the aspnet_client folder and some did not. I just ran
    aspnet_regiis -i as part of a troubleshooting effort and suddenly ALL of the
    ASP.NET Web sites have the aspnet_client folder (and its sub folders).

    The sites that previously did not have the aspnet_client folder seemed to
    work just fine (for a long time). The sites that previously had that
    folder - well, I don't know why they had it. All sites seem to still work
    fine with it (now that they all have it).

    So - can I get rid of it? I don't like to clutter production servers with
    unnecessary stuff where I can obviously keep it clean. If it's unnecessary
    can I just delete it from all production sites, or is it part of some larger
    set of operations that aspnet_regiis -i did that I'd also need to reverse? I

    Siva M, Jul 15, 2005