aspnet_client folder - is it required?

Frankie

I have a bunch of ASP.NET Web sites on a production server. Until today,
some had the aspnet_client folder and some did not. I just ran
aspnet_regiis -i as part of a troubleshooting effort and suddenly ALL of the
ASP.NET Web sites have the aspnet_client folder (and its sub folders).

The sites that previously did not have the aspnet_client folder seemed to
work just fine (for a long time). The sites that previously had that
folder - well, I don't know why they had it. All sites seem to still work
fine with it (now that they all have it).

So - can I get rid of it? I don't like to clutter production servers with
unnecessary stuff where I can obviously keep it clean. If it's unnecessary
can I just delete it from all production sites, or is it part of some larger
set of operations that aspnet_regiis -i did that I'd also need to reverse? I
don't do any development on this production server (no need to connect with
VS.NET, FWIW), and no FrontPage Server Extensions are required on this box.

Thanks!

WJ

"aspnet_client folder" is mostly used by 3rd parties web controls. Example:
If you buy Infragistic web controls and install them on your server and or
your developer PC, there will be a subfolder under this "aspnet_client" by
default called "infragistics". This is a central location so that your web
applications, no matter where they are located on the server, they will work
with this particular folder "infragistics". As a result, if you see nothing
in there, you can safely delete it. You can also delete this folder
("aspnet_client") if you want to put your 3rd party tools under a web site
that uses them. The problem with this is that when the new version of these
tools come in, you will have to remember which web site uses which tools in
order to update them properly.

You can also rename the ""aspnet_client folder" to your liking, however, you
must also remember to reference the same name in your VS.Net IDE at design
time so that it will work when your app. is finally deployed to your
production server. In short, client (developer PC) and server must match.

John

Siva M

aspnet_client folder is required because it stores certain JavaScript (.js)
files required by some ASP.NET validation controls and for smart navigation.
It is also used by certain 3rd party UI component developers.