aspnet_setreg fails

Kevin Brown

Getting a consistent failure on machines when attempting
to run the aspnet_setreg utility. The command line has
worked on one or two machines. Here is the command line
being used:
aspnet_setreg.exe -
k:SOFTWARE\CORPORATEAPPS\AppName\identity -
u:"domain\account" -p:"password"

The error is: ERROR: Argument 1 Invalid:

I've tried creating the key manually ahead of time and
checking rights. Cannot find anything wrong. Windows
2000, SP4, Framework 1.1 (only).

Anybody else get this or know what the issue might be?

Kevin Brown

Well anything is always worth a try but no that isn't the
problem. Same failure. The original command line worked
on my XP machine but fails on the Windows 2000 boxes at my
client.
It would be nice if we had the source. There isn't much
to this program so re-producing the encrypt functionality
isn't difficult (just seems ashame to have to do that when
a tool is provided).