aspnet_wp appears only transiently

Ivan Towlson

A colleague has just installed VS2003 on Windows 2000 and created her first
simple Web application, and aspnet_wp is firing up only transiently, a new
instance for each request.

We first noticed it when we tried to put a breakpoint in the app and VS
didn't think the assembly was being loaded. Debug > Processes couldn't see
the aspnet_wp process to attach manually and it didn't show up in Task
Manager. Very strange. Process Explorer showed the aspnet_wp process
coming into existence when we made a request, then terminating when the
request completed.

There is nothing in the event log to indicate why aspnet_wp is terminating.
The IIS settings look sensible and we have run aspnet_regiis. IIS is not
locked down and has not had security patches applied as far as we know, but
the virus scanner is not reporting any infections. It's possible the
machine has an upgrade "history" -- I noticed the Win9x-style Personal Web
Manager in Admin Tools, but Win2000 Setup claims that IIS is installed.

The requests *are* being satisfied, i.e. we are getting the correct pages
back and server-side events are definitely running: I just don't understand
why aspnet_wp is being so transient or how to make it behave "properly."

Has anybody seen this behaviour and can anybody advise?

Cheers,
Ivan