aspx pages dont work on win2003-server - newbie needs help

ASPNET

Hi,

After spending several hours reading through help pages I try to turn
to you guys for help.

I have a co-located server (ie my own) with IIS 6.0 and MS Win 2003
installed.

ASP works on that server, as most things do, but now I am trying to
learn APS.NET. So, I am a newbie, on both IIS, win2003 and APS.NET.

The problem I am having: .aspx pages are not working.

Error: HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found

Trying to solve this I have:

- installed MS Framework SDK 1.1

- tried to find out if .NET is installed properly. However, Win2003
seems to have IIS6.0 and the .NET framework intergrated. So I can't
find a definitve answer there.

- Several pages suggested that the aspx extension needs to be binded
(?). So here is what I did:

in IIS manager, right click on websitefolder/properties/documents
enabled default content page "default.aspx".

in IIS manager/web extensions/ added aspx, in required files :
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll is set
to allowed.

There is another option there: "All unknown ISAPI Extensions" is set
to prohibited. I think that is right.

A second problem, which might stop me from solving this: Many help
pages speak of a "manage your server"-page. However, that page never
comes up at the places those pages say that page should come up. SO
where can I find that? (ie physically on the harddrive).

Any help is much appreciated, and again, I am completely new at this
so forgive me any stupidities :))

Alexander

Juan T. Llibre

In IIS Manager/Web Service Extensions/

is there an entry for "ASP.NET v1.1.4322" ?

If so, set it to "Allowed".
( Highlight it and click the "Allow" button. )

If that's where you made the aspx entry,
you can delete it. It's unneeded.

Juan T. Llibre
===========

ASPNET

In IIS Manager/Web Service Extensions/

is there an entry for "ASP.NET v1.1.4322" ?

If so, set it to "Allowed".
( Highlight it and click the "Allow" button. )

If that's where you made the aspx entry,
you can delete it. It's unneeded.

Juan T. Llibre
===========

Dear Juan,

Thank you for helping.

There is no entry for "ASP.NET v1.1.4322".
I made the entry for aspx. SO I can delete again?

Ok, then what can I try next ?

Alexander

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Ok, then what can I try next ?

1.
Re-register ASP NET 1.1 by running "aspnet_regiis -i"
from a command prompt in the Framework 1.1 directory:
c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\

2.
Check to see if the ASPNET and the IUSR_YourComputer
accounts have permission to access your wwwroot and the
directory tree below it.

re:
There is no entry for "ASP.NET v1.1.4322".
I made the entry for aspx. SO I can delete again?

What I meant is that *if* there was an entry
for "ASP.NET v1.1.4322" *then* you could
delete the entry you made for "aspx", since
it would duplicate the "ASP.NET v1.1.4322" entry.

To prevent confusion, I'd delete that entry, anyway,
and create a new one for "ASP.NET v1.1.4322",
mapping the entry to
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll
and checking the "Allowed" checkbox.

But, *only* do that after you re-register ASP.NET 1.1,
per above, and check the IIS Manager again, to see
if re-registering ASP.NET 1.1 added the entry ( it should ).

Make sure you close and open IIS Manager,
or refresh the view, before cheking for the new entry.

Juan T. Llibre
===========

Rozijn

re:

1.
Re-register ASP NET 1.1 by running "aspnet_regiis -i"
from a command prompt in the Framework 1.1 directory:
c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\

Finally, that did the trick! the .aspx entry was deleted
automatically.

Thank you Juan !!

A very happy Alexander :))