Assembly version redirection in web.onfig

Guest

Hi,

We have developed an ASP.NET 1.1 application which references strong named
assemblies. The assemblies reside in the "bin" folder of the app, not the GAC.

We want a way in which whenever we change the version of a strong named
assembly, the ASP.NET won´t have to be recompiled. In order to accomplish
this we are using <bindingredirect> tags in the web.config file. But the
problem is that it seems that these tags aren´t read from web.config, and the
asp.net app continues trying to load the old version. When the application
crashes, the error page show us that during the probing process it only
processes the aspnet.config file, and the machine.config file. Since those
files aren´t inside the application directory, we don´t lilke this solution.

Is there any way to redirect the version of an assembly in a ASP.NET
application with a .config file inside the application directory?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jose Antonio

Guest

Hi Harish,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. We already knew the possibility of
using a publisher policy file, but in our deployment scenarios we can´t
install assemblies in the GAC or use the machine.config file. That is the
reason why we need to use the application file to indicate the correct
version of the assemblies to use. With ASP.NET applications the application
configuration file to use would be the web.config file, but it seems that
this file is not used during the probing process.

We would like to know if someone could confirm us that the web.config file
couldn´t be used to redirect assemblies and if it is possible, what steps
have to be done to achieve it.

Thanks in advance.

Jose Antonio