    would like something that can easily integrate with Gtk in ruby for
    video in the future, so I'm not really sure how that would work. Any
    ideas would be appreciated.

    John Bentley, Oct 28, 2009

  2. 2009/10/28 John Bentley <>:
    > I've seen this question thrown around a bit already, but I have yet to
    > find a conclusive answer. Anyway, I'm looking for an audio library that
    > I can use for a media player. So far I've tried gstreamer (ruby
    > bindings) which didn't even run the examples. I've considered Rubygame,
    > which I believe uses SDL underneath. The problem with it is it has a set
    > list of codecs it can use. I can use C++ if it is necessary. However, I
    > would like something that can easily integrate with Gtk in ruby for
    > video in the future, so I'm not really sure how that would work. Any
    > ideas would be appreciated.

    If you also want video then gstreamer might be actually good choice,
    it's supposed to support video as well.

    There are very few things that support pluggable codecs like gstreamer
    does so your choice is limited if you do not want to deal with
    integrating each and every codec yourself.

    The other thing that comes to mind is jack.

    If the interface is sane you can probably get some simple FFI bindings
    done quite fast when there are no existing working bindings.

    You can also use a cheat: embed mplayer into your gtk app (see the
    mplayer wid and slave options). The supported codecs are set here as
    well but it plays almost anything.

    Thanks

    Michal

    Michal Suchanek, Oct 30, 2009