Audio libraries

John Bentley

I've seen this question thrown around a bit already, but I have yet to
find a conclusive answer. Anyway, I'm looking for an audio library that
I can use for a media player. So far I've tried gstreamer (ruby
bindings) which didn't even run the examples. I've considered Rubygame,
which I believe uses SDL underneath. The problem with it is it has a set
list of codecs it can use. I can use C++ if it is necessary. However, I
would like something that can easily integrate with Gtk in ruby for
video in the future, so I'm not really sure how that would work. Any
ideas would be appreciated.

Michal Suchanek

2009/10/28 John Bentley said:
I've seen this question thrown around a bit already, but I have yet to
find a conclusive answer. Anyway, I'm looking for an audio library that
I can use for a media player. So far I've tried gstreamer (ruby
bindings) which didn't even run the examples. I've considered Rubygame,
which I believe uses SDL underneath. The problem with it is it has a set
list of codecs it can use. I can use C++ if it is necessary. However, I
would like something that can easily integrate with Gtk in ruby for
video in the future, so I'm not really sure how that would work. Any
ideas would be appreciated.

If you also want video then gstreamer might be actually good choice,
it's supposed to support video as well.

There are very few things that support pluggable codecs like gstreamer
does so your choice is limited if you do not want to deal with
integrating each and every codec yourself.

The other thing that comes to mind is jack.

If the interface is sane you can probably get some simple FFI bindings
done quite fast when there are no existing working bindings.

You can also use a cheat: embed mplayer into your gtk app (see the
mplayer wid and slave options). The supported codecs are set here as
well but it plays almost anything.

Thanks

Michal