    I am currently writing a manager that creates Windows Schedules remotely via. web services. I have just a few questions. What is the best way to Authenticate incoming requests (and remember the SOAP request can come from non .net clients i.e. J2EE)? I need to encrypt these SOAP messages - what is the common practise for this?

    Regards,
    Arno

    Arno, Dec 18, 2003

  2. MSDN has just posted the following on J2EE interop and may be useful for
    architecting your app:

    http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/h
    tml/jdni.asp

    There are also standards in development that may be of use. These are
    usually refered to as 'Web Service Enhancements'. The .NET stuff is here
    and there should be equivalents elswhere on the web:

    http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/

    and here:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/building/wse/default.aspx?pull=/librar
    y/en-us/dnwebsrv/html/wsejavainterop.asp

    On a more practical level, SSL may serve your encryption needs. If you are
    able to use SSL then you could try basic authentication for authentication.
    The credentials will be secured by the underlying transport.

    You should also be able to encrypt data yourself using the cryptography
    classes in the .NET framework and use Java classes to decrypt (or vice
    versa) as they should all be based on the same crypto standards.

    Chris Marchal
    Microsoft UK Developer Support

    Chris Marchal[MSFT], Dec 23, 2003