Authentication

Steve Allen

I have a web service that makes IO calls (file read, write, etc.) to files
on a network server.

Authentication works successfully when the web service is called from the
browser (IE) on the same server that hosts the web service. (ie both IE and
web service are on the same box)

When I call the same web service from a browser on another computer, I get
"access denied" errors when making IO calls.

Settings for IIS:
Anonymous access - unchecked
Integrated Windows authentication - checked

Settings for web.config
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<identity impersonate = "true"/>

I added a webmethod which returns the current user name. Both scenerios
returns my NTLogin name, so it appears my credentials are being passed
through.

Any ideas?

Thanks much!
Steve

Mike Moore [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

I have reviewed your issue. Due to the nature of your issue I need to do
additional research to determine the best way to provide assistance. I will
contact you as soon as possible.

Thank you, Mike
Microsoft, ASP.NET Support Professional

--------------------

David Qiu

Hi Steve,
When I call the same web service from a browser on another computer, I get
"access denied" errors when making IO calls. It is expected unless you are
using delegation.

For a good discussion on why we recommend "trusted subsystem" vs.
"impersonation/delgation":
Building Secure ASP.NET Applications: Authentication, Authorization, and
Secure Communication, Chapter 12: Data Access Security
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/ht
ml/SecNetch12.asp

For info on how to set up delegation:
283201 HOWTO: Use Delegation in Windows 2000 with COM+
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=283201

810572 HOW TO: Configure an ASP.NET Application for a Delegation Scenario
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=810572

Thanks,
David
Microsoft Developer Support