Autocomplete combo box in ASP.NET

Grey

I want to know that how to design an autocomplete combo box in ASP.NET with C#? There is no combo box control available for use in the ASP.NET. Is it possible to design such kind of combo box in ASP.NET with C#. If so, what additional controls I need to add??

Million Thanks..

Eric

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Eric,

There are a few around, including source here (a tiny Asp.Net Combobox 1.1
link at the bottom) that might help you:

http://www.progstudios.com/combobox.aspx

I want to know that how to design an autocomplete combo box in ASP.NET with
C#? There is no combo box control available for use in the ASP.NET. Is it
possible to design such kind of combo box in ASP.NET with C#. If so, what
additional controls I need to add??

Million Thanks..

Eric

Dan Brussee

<copy-paste>This is a client side thing. ASP.NET or any other server
side code system cannot help</copy-paste>

Now, with that out of the way, there are ways of getting what you need
via Javascript, etc. Certainly, ASP.NET will not stop you from using
these techniques. Check out the javascript newsgroups for help on
this.

Remember, that there really is not a control like a combobox in HTML.
You will either need to cobble one togeather out of a text box and a
dropdown list or something. As always, if it cant be displayed in
HTML, it cant be done via ASP (or ASP.NET).

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Well there is no such thing as web combobox control because HTML simply does not support it.
So therefore you have to fake it with some fancy server & client code. Here is a link for a control that does
just that:
http://www.metabuilders.com/Tools/ComboBox.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

I want to know that how to design an autocomplete combo box in ASP.NET with C#? There is no combo box control available for use in the ASP.NET. Is it possible to design such kind of combo box in ASP.NET with C#. If so, what additional controls I need to add??

Million Thanks..

Eric

Dan Brussee

Man, that thing sucks! Good reason not to go overboard for something
that is not that helpful in most cases. Consider if the dropdown list
had 100 or 1000 items in it. I wonder how speedy that would be. As it
is with only a few items, try entering New Hamphire! Very difficult to
do.

Joined
Sep 5, 2006
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
as an alternative...

Is it possible that your computer is just really slow? It doesn't take that long for me.

Even so, there are much more polished products on the market, like ELB...