Avoiding Autocomplete

Alex

Hi,

I am wondering how it can be achieved to turn off the autocomplete
feature for a certain field.

I have noticed that setting an "autocomplete" attribute for a text field
to "off" does that. However I saw other implementions achieving it
without this attribute. So I am wondering, is there a CSS way or a
naming convention or .......

Thanks,
Alex

Michael Wilcox

Alex said:
I am wondering how it can be achieved to turn off the autocomplete
feature for a certain field.

As you mentioned, the autocomplete attribute is an option, but it's
nonstandard and breaks your page in the validator. Also, it only works
in IE, not the other browsers in use.

Like others will say, autocomplete is a feature of the user's browser,
not a feature of your site. You, in a sense, do not have the right to
turn it off. A lot of users find it useful. Is there some reason you
want it off?

I am wondering out loud here, and perhaps someone can back me up: Does
autocomplete rely on the name of the field to suggest options? If so,
changing the name to something else might thwart autocomplete.

Alex

Michael said:
As you mentioned, the autocomplete attribute is an option, but it's
nonstandard and breaks your page in the validator. Also, it only works
in IE, not the other browsers in use.

I didnt try it yet with other browsers, but if this is true it isnt an
option anyway.
Like others will say, autocomplete is a feature of the user's browser,
not a feature of your site. You, in a sense, do not have the right to
turn it off. A lot of users find it useful. Is there some reason you
want it off?

Oh my, I almost expected that someone will eventually reply with such a
kind of message.

Beside the fact, that I actually have every right to do whatever I wish
on my site (of course, as long as I do not break any laws) I didnt ask
for advice whether or whether not I should do it, but HOW to do it.

I have a _specific_ reason why I _need_ to do this.
I am wondering out loud here, and perhaps someone can back me up: Does
autocomplete rely on the name of the field to suggest options? If so,
changing the name to something else might thwart autocomplete.

I am quite sure that the name attribute is one of the major factors in
determining the autocomplete data for a field, however unfortunately
setting a random name isnt an option in my case.

Alex

Alex

Michael said:
As you mentioned, the autocomplete attribute is an option, but it's
nonstandard and breaks your page in the validator. Also, it only works
in IE, not the other browsers in use.

I didnt try it yet with other browsers, but if this is true it isnt an
option anyway.
Is there some reason you want it off?

Yes, I do. The text field in question is used for sending messages and
hence it isnt really an acceptable thing to have the dropdown list
popping up each time upon entering a new message.
I am wondering out loud here, and perhaps someone can back me up: Does
autocomplete rely on the name of the field to suggest options? If so,
changing the name to something else might thwart autocomplete.

I am quite sure that the name attribute is one of the major factors in
determining the autocomplete data for a field, however unfortunately
setting a random name isnt an option in my case.

Alex

Oli Filth

Alex said:
Oh my, I almost expected that someone will eventually reply with such a
kind of message.

Beside the fact, that I actually have every right to do whatever I wish
on my site (of course, as long as I do not break any laws) I didnt ask
for advice whether or whether not I should do it, but HOW to do it.

Yes, but as was said, AutoComplete is a function of the user's browser,
not your site.
I have a _specific_ reason why I _need_ to do this.

Would you mind if I asked why, just out of curiosity? It seems quite a
strange think to _need_.

kchayka

Michael said:
it only works in IE, not the other browsers in use.

Not true. mozilla browsers have supported the autocomplete attribute for
a long time now, at the request of some financial institutions who
consider it a security feature.

Alex

Oli said:
Yes, but as was said, AutoComplete is a function of the user's browser,
not your site.

As any feature to disable it is.
Would you mind if I asked why, just out of curiosity? It seems quite a
strange think to _need_.

It is for a messaging application where such a constantly popping up
list isnt acceptable.

Alex

Oli Filth

Alex said:
It is for a messaging application where such a constantly popping up
list isnt acceptable.

Ah, in that case, a <TEXTAREA> might be appropriate. As far as I've
played around with it, a <TEXTAREA> doesn't have AutoComplete.

Steve Pugh

Alex said:
It is for a messaging application where such a constantly popping up
list isnt acceptable.

But for messages that are so short that a text input is more suitable
than a textarea (no autocomplete feature on textareas)?

I've used messaging apps where an autocomplete style feature was
included and I found it helpful. Often I am sending the same or very