Bad protocol 'tcp' error - ActiveState Perl

Mike Lottridge

I'm getting an bad protocol error 'tcp' whenever I use any of the LWP
modules (and PPM as well). I'm using a Windows 2000 system. There's not a
problem with tcp on port 80, i can browse the net, plus run other command
line cygwin utilities (wget, ...) without problems.

Is this a matter of not being able to find the "protocols" file? I've
checked my %WINDIR% variable, it's set and there is a valid "protocols" file
there. This problem cropped up recently... I'm not sure what changed on my
system, and I'm stumped on how to debug it.

Included is an example error when using PPM.

C:\Perl\bin>ppm
PPM - Programmer's Package Manager version 3.1.
Copyright (c) 2001 ActiveState SRL. All Rights Reserved.

Entering interactive shell. Using Term::ReadLine::Stub as readline library.

Type 'help' to get started.

ppm> s quotehist
Searching in Active Repositories
Error: No valid repositories: Error: 500 Can't connect to
ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (Bad protocol 'tcp') Error: 500 Can't connect to
ppm-ia.ActiveState.com:80 (Bad protocol 'tcp')
ppm>

ko

Mike Lottridge said:
I'm getting an bad protocol error 'tcp' whenever I use any of the LWP
modules (and PPM as well). I'm using a Windows 2000 system. There's not a
problem with tcp on port 80, i can browse the net, plus run other command
line cygwin utilities (wget, ...) without problems.

Have you tried the ActiveState mailing lists? There's one specifically for ppm:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Browse/Threaded/ppm

HTH - keith

Mike Lottridge

Thanks! I've searched them, to no avail... maybe that says more about me
than the content of the lists....