ActiveState Perl configuration - encountering an error

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by frank@rangersnorth.net, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. Guest

    My apologies if this isn't the best place to post this question, but
    its the best I could find.

    I'm trying to install Radiator's Radius server on a Windows XP machine.
    As part of the installation process, ActiveState's ActivePerl must be
    installed first. I've run the MSI and successfully installed the
    software.

    I am now following the instructions that I have and trying to install
    the packages that the setup requires through the PPM (Perl Package
    Manager), specifically "install DBI".

    However, attempting to do so generates the following error:

    "Error: No valid repositories: Error 500: Can't connect to
    ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) Error: 500 Can't
    connect to ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error)"

    I'm guessing that this is a result of a setting within my environment
    (either the machine or, more likely, my network), but I don't
    understand enough about what the "install" command is doing (i.e., is
    it trying to ftp a file from the ActiveState website or is it doing
    something else) to effectively troubleshoot the problem and put
    together a solution.

    I started by asking ActiveState's support group but I have not seen a
    response from them yet and I'm hoping that someone here might be able
    to shed some light on what's going on.

    Thanks,

    Frank
    , Aug 31, 2006

  2. Matt Garrish Guest

    wrote:

    > My apologies if this isn't the best place to post this question, but
    > its the best I could find.
    >
    > I'm trying to install Radiator's Radius server on a Windows XP machine.
    > As part of the installation process, ActiveState's ActivePerl must be
    > installed first. I've run the MSI and successfully installed the
    > software.
    >
    > I am now following the instructions that I have and trying to install
    > the packages that the setup requires through the PPM (Perl Package
    > Manager), specifically "install DBI".
    >
    > However, attempting to do so generates the following error:
    >
    > "Error: No valid repositories: Error 500: Can't connect to
    > ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) Error: 500 Can't
    > connect to ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error)"

    The most likely causes are a firewall, no internet connectivity on the
    machine, or that their repositories were offline for whatever reason
    when you were trying to connect.

    PPM will first search the repository for a matching ppd file, and if
    one is found it will use the instructions in the file to download and
    install the module for you. If you have internet connectivity on the
    box there shouldn't be any problem running the program.

    You could always try installing another repository as per the
    documentation. Randy Kobe's theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca repository is usually
    much better than ActiveState's anyway.

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Henry Law Guest

    wrote:
    > My apologies if this isn't the best place to post this question, but
    > its the best I could find.

    Y, strictly that's off topic; this is a Perl _language_ group.

    But have you Googled? I did, on your behalf, using [ "can't connect to
    ppm.ActiveState.com:80" ] as the argument. Got lots of hits, some of
    them talking about proxies and such. Suggest you follow that up,
    because your problem is (IMO) to do with your network setup, not Perl.

    --

    Henry Law <>< Manchester, England
    Henry Law, Aug 31, 2006

    Matt Garrish wrote:
    > The most likely causes are a firewall, no internet connectivity on the
    > machine, or that their repositories were offline for whatever reason
    > when you were trying to connect.
    >
    > PPM will first search the repository for a matching ppd file, and if
    > one is found it will use the instructions in the file to download and
    > install the module for you. If you have internet connectivity on the
    > box there shouldn't be any problem running the program.
    >
    > You could always try installing another repository as per the
    > documentation. Randy Kobe's theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca repository is usually
    > much better than ActiveState's anyway.
    >
    > Matt

    As I have internet connectivity, I'm assuming that it's having a
    problem with the firewall. I guess my question then becomes, what
    technology is PPM using to access ActivePerl's site? Is it HTTP or
    FTP?

    But, regarding your alternative, it seems possible that I can download
    what I need from either ActiveState's website or Randy Kobe's site and
    then install from there without issue.
    , Aug 31, 2006
  5. Sisyphus Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My apologies if this isn't the best place to post this question, but
    > its the best I could find.

    Imho, you're better to post to the perl-win32-users list hosted by
    ActiveState. See http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/ .
    (You need to first subscribe.)

    > "Error: No valid repositories: Error 500: Can't connect to
    > ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) Error: 500 Can't
    > connect to ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error)"

    As others have pointed out, it's probably a firewall issue. ActivePerl comes
    with documentation that tells you how to deal with this.

    Browse to C:\Perl\html\index.html (amend in accordance to where you've
    actually installed Perl). In the left hand frame, a few lines down you'll
    see a link to "using PPM". That leads to a link to "PPM, Proxies and
    Firewalls" that tells you how to deal with firewalls and proxies.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Aug 31, 2006
  6. Matt Garrish Guest

    wrote:

    > Matt Garrish wrote:
    > > The most likely causes are a firewall, no internet connectivity on the
    > > machine, or that their repositories were offline for whatever reason
    > > when you were trying to connect.
    > >
    > > PPM will first search the repository for a matching ppd file, and if
    > > one is found it will use the instructions in the file to download and
    > > install the module for you. If you have internet connectivity on the
    > > box there shouldn't be any problem running the program.
    > >
    > > You could always try installing another repository as per the
    > > documentation. Randy Kobe's theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca repository is usually
    > > much better than ActiveState's anyway.
    > >

    > As I have internet connectivity, I'm assuming that it's having a
    > problem with the firewall. I guess my question then becomes, what
    > technology is PPM using to access ActivePerl's site? Is it HTTP or
    > FTP?

    PPM runs over HTTP. There's a whole section in the documentation on how
    to configure PPM to get around the problem of firewalls and proxies.
    I'm assuming you have read the manual over and tried the methods
    presented there?

    > But, regarding your alternative, it seems possible that I can download
    > what I need from either ActiveState's website or Randy Kobe's site and
    > then install from there without issue.

    AS has a zip archive, but it's generally more out of date than their
    repository. I would try and discover what your problem is before
    resorting to it.

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Aug 31, 2006

    Thank you all. The solution was the HTTP_PROXY environment variable
    and, as it turns, determining the correct value for that (a purely
    internal matter). I appreciate everyone's insight.
    , Sep 6, 2006